Upgrades module fails to upgrade PW; anyone having this issue?

szabesz

EDIT: the problem has vanished by this (next) morning. See my report below.

Hi,

I have never had any issues with the Upgrades module (ProcessWireUpgrade) but currently I'm unable to upgrade to processwire-dev (3.0.38 from 3.0.36 master). I can upgrade modules though, for example upgrading AdminOnSteroids worked.

I experience two different issues, depending on my MAMP Pro setup:

#1 FastCGI (MAMP Pro): Internal Server error

• During the download process (while the file .../assets/cache/ProcessWireUpgrade/dev.zip is being downloaded ) I get an internal server error, and the admin page switches to the error page,
  • The Apache log message is: 
    • FastCGI: comm with server "/Applications/MAMP/different-bin/php5.6.25.fcgi" aborted: idle timeout (30 sec), referer: .../admin/setup/upgrades/check?branch=dev
    • FastCGI: incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server "/Applications/MAMP/fcgi-bin/php5.6.25.fcgi", referer: .../admin/setup/upgrades/check?branch=dev
  • Even though I get the error, the download process finishes and the upgrade file gets downloaded, but due to the way the module works, it cannot be used by the module next time.

#2 Module mode (MAMP Pro): corrupted ZIP

• This time the module manages to "wait for the file" to download, but it cannot be extracted, I get the PHP error: ProcessWireUpgrade: Unable to open ZIP file, error code: 19
  • The strange thing is that two of my applications can extract it, but another two (one is the OS X default) report that the ZIP is corrupted.
  • Another interesting thing is that the ZIP files I got  – while testing the upgrade process several times – started to become bigger and bigger. The first time the download dev.zip was about 12MB, next 16.7MB and so on, and the last time I tried I got a 21.1MB zip file. Each of these files appears to have the same content than the one that can be manually downloaded from GitHub, even though the latter is just 10.7MB, so something is really fishy with the ZIPs I get via the upgrade module's download process.

I do not have the slightest clue what is going on. Can it be a ProcessWire issue? Or something with my Mac/MAMP Pro? Or something wrong with GitHub?

Note that I have not changed anything on my dev environment setup recently and also tried restarting my machine, to no avail...

Normally I use FastCGI, and upgrading ProcessWire always worked with it, the last time I used it I upgraded to 3.0.36 master.

Anyone having similar issues?

Edited by szabesz

9 hours ago, szabesz said:

Or something wrong with GitHub?

This morning I could upgrade without any problems whatsoever. Yesterday downloading the upgrade ZIP was slow (around 130kbit/sec), today I nearly didn't wait for it. It must have been some sever issue at GitHub maybe?

Unrelated to what you're experiencing, but when I upgrade PW on my WAMP setup AND if I have a project open in Sublime Text containing that PW instance, the upgrade will "fail" at the last step whereby it renames the directories.  Not a bug, but something to be careful for.  It's easy to fix however if that occurs... just rename the 'wire-3.x.xx' directory to 'wire'.

• Like 1