Replace image by drag-and-drop not working (3.035+)

tpr

Starting from around 3.035+ I can't replace images by drag-and-drop on an existing image. However, it seem to work if the field is set to hold only 1 image ("Maximum items allowed").

Can someone confirm?

Hello tpr,

Is it a new installation, an update/upgrade...? Have you exported/imported fields?

We know that if the image field is set to hold only 1 image a new one replaces the old one. 
There is no need to check "Overwrite existing files" in the "Input" tab.

Have you checked "Overwrite existing files" for this particular image field?

(Is it in a repeater field, elsewhere, or an image field directly in a page?)
Is it a standard image field?

You must have verified everything, but we never know...

It's a new install, and another one that was moved to another server. But no field imports were made. It's a standard image field, no repeaters.

Maybe I was wrong to suppose that dragging an image on an existing image will replace it, even when the field is set to hold multiple images?

Setting "overwrite existing files" is for similarly named files, isn't it?

I don't think/remember that dragging an image on another one will replace it.
Do you mean with a different name?

Usually I just add the image.
By default, it renames the new image file if the filename already exists (like adding "-1" or something else).

If "overwrite existing files" is checked, it replaces it.

Normally, but I could be wrong, you cannot replace automatically an image with a new one (with different filenames) just by dragging it on top.

When there is only one image authorized in an image field it can make us think that this is what happens.
If the filename is the same it could be that it renames it also by default, as the old image hasn't been removed and the page saved before adding the new image.

• Like 2

Ok, thanks, I was remembering this thing wrong. In the announcement blog post reads that

When the "edit" panel is open, you have a larger preview of the image. You can replace that image simply by dragging a new image from your computer right on top of that preview image. It doesn't get any simpler than that!

So it works only after opening the image edit panel.

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/major-images-field-upgrade/

• Like 3