I cannot install the blog profile

desbest

59 minutes ago, LostKobrakai said:

This page points to a forum post that is no longer valid (probably because of the Forum update?). Current url:

Anyway, it is easier to install a beta version of the profile which is also good for checking out how it was made (blog-site2.zip linked from this post):

For a more up-to-date blog profile I recommend: 

• Like 5

I got the new blog profile to install now, but when I click my username on the site to see all the posts I've wrote, I get this error.

404 Page Not Found

The page you were looking for is not found.

Please use our search engine or navigation above to find the page.

1 hour ago, desbest said:

I got the new blog profile to install now, but when I click my username on the site to see all the posts I've wrote, I get this error.

I do not know why, but in authors.php it is thrown on purpose:

if(!$author->id || !$author->hasRole($authorRole)) throw new Wire404Exception();

Just remove || !$author->hasRole($authorRole) and it should work. At least you get the list, but as I mentioned before, this profile is good for learning tricks and general concepts, but it is sort of outdated and is from the time when ProcessWire 2.2.9 and 2.3.x was in use. The API has grown a lot since then, so sometimes there are easier ways to accomplish the same.

Edited by szabesz
spelling of authors.php

It works now. Thank you. It looks like the 2nd blog profile will have to do, as the 1st one doesn't work with v3 or v2.8.

Also the 2nd blog profile has less features such as there being no tags or dedicated comments page, so it'll be harder for me to learn how to use processwire now, as I can't access those examples from the 1st blog profile.

If the 2 blog profiles are outdated, should I refer to the documentation page to learn how to create templates?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desbest said:

should I refer to the documentation page to learn how to create templates?

You are right, the recommended blog profile is missing some features that is implemented in Ryan's profile, but to my knowledge it is the most current blog profile that has been released recently. I myself use it as a base of my future projects too, and currently refactoring it to my needs and also to make it more beginner friendly than it is right now. My version of it still needs a lot of work, and probably will be done by the end of this year. I will also try to document it as much as time permits.

You should definitely need to familiarize yourself with the basics of template files, I can recommend reading these:

A 4 part series (based on Twig, but worth reading nevertheless):

http://blog.mauriziobonani.com/processwire-basic-website-workflow-part-1/

and this one too:

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/07/the-aesthetic-of-non-opinionated-content-management-a-beginners-guide-to-processwire/

Edited by szabesz
typo
  • Like 1

On 16/09/2016 at 4:32 PM, szabesz said:

You should definitely need to familiarize yourself with the basics of template files, I can recommend reading these:

A 4 part series (based on Twig, but worth reading nevertheless):

http://blog.mauriziobonani.com/processwire-basic-website-workflow-part-1/

and this one too:

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/07/the-aesthetic-of-non-opinionated-content-management-a-beginners-guide-to-processwire/

I read them but they didn't help me as the example template php syntax did not help me with the type of site I want to create, though those pages are helpful to newbies like me. My site needs more php logic than presentation.