How to fill in your own website ?

pwired

After you installed processwire, it comes with a default website.

What is the best way to fill in your own website ? How do you replace the default processwire website with your own ? Do you simply delete all the default templates, fields and pages that are there ? Or do you not delete them but rewrite and edit them into your own ? If doing so, will there be any left overs in the database or something else to clean up ?

@pwired - i'm sure everyone has a different approach to this.

This is how i have approached the last few sites:

1.) in the admin, define fields and templates, and add content. I stay in the backend for a while (and don't bother making the actual php files for the templates). Once the backend is stable (data structure of fields and templates, page tree) and there is enough content then i will start to 'wire up' the front end.

2.) Separately design the frontend, using whatever tools you would usually use, optionally on whatever framework you prefer (foundation, bootstrap); sometimes this part can be as simple as using html5 kickstart, or as complex as going through wireframing process etc..

i like to work with a design that is close to finished before 'wiring' it.

3.) the wiring part is pretty easy; it's good to have a list of all your field names and templates...you can configure the files in various ways, have a look at some of the site profiles for examples of this...

• Like 3

@ macrura, I like what you wrote there but don't exactly know what you mean by:

especially before 'wiring' it

I mean, isn't wireframing the first step in the design process ?

I'm doing it the same way like macrura:

first building static (html/css/js) examples/drafts. After design/layout is ready, I transform it into the cms.

Ok, yes, I did it even my self in pwired, wired, wiring, derivated from processwire. Guess I got confused when I was reading the word wireframing in "going through wireframing process"

At the moment I am deleting all the default pages, fields and templates from an installed processwire.

See how that goes for replacing everything with my own website. 

At the moment I am deleting all the default pages, fields and templates from an installed processwire.

See how that goes for replacing everything with my own website. 

Probably no need to delete all the fields. You may need some, e.g. headline, summary, body. Just rename them, their labels and description as you see fit. That can save you some time :)