Backup

rot

I produced a module that:

• backups the db
  • zips the site
  • uploads the zip to google drive

The module is not ready for publication yet as it has to be tested more thouroughly and the code has to be revised first.

There is a question tha arised in the making of the module:

Is there a documentation of the standard procedure on how to backup a site? I just used:

• WireDatabaseBackup
  • wireZipFile

to do so. I had to figure out which directories to include and whicht to omit.

As I looked into exisitng modules I came accross "Site Profile Exporter".

This one claims to produce a site profile which is easily reinstallable. I am not aware if this is really the case as the module is from 2012. But the ideas seems promising.

Is this idea still existing? And if so is it documented?

I could not really understand what "Site Profile Exporter" is doing as it is a bit of a mess in mixing presentation and business logic. Call me a middleware developer lost in a php publishing system but still I hate when people zip something in between of creating a form.

• Like 3

The site profile exporter should still work as expected. The core architecture of ProcessWire hasn't changed in that time. It's not exactly meant to be a backup, but it produces a site profile that's installable by processwire like the default profiles you chose from while installing it the first time. The most drastic difference to a backup would be, that the old users are not there after a siteprofile installation. 

For the database backup, there's currently no documentation about it other than the comments in the core files. But take a look at the modules "Database Backups" and "Cronjob Database Backup" if you're curious. But really there isn't much more besides the functions you mentioned. 

The site profile exporter should still work as expected. The core architecture of ProcessWire hasn't changed in that time. It's not exactly meant to be a backup, but it produces a site profile that's installable by processwire like the default profiles you chose from while installing it the first time. The most drastic difference to a backup would be, that the old users are not there after a siteprofile installation. 

For the database backup, there's currently no documentation about it other than the comments in the core files. But take a look at the modules "Database Backups" and "Cronjob Database Backup" if you're curious. But really there isn't much more besides the functions you mentioned. 

Thanks for the reply!

Is there documentation on how the "site-profile" looks like? It's kind of hard to figure out from the plugin.

For the database backup: Thats no problem and worked fine.

• 2 months later...