New pages not displaying

grumpy

Please can anyone suggest why new pages are not displaying on my Processwire site?  I have downloaded and installed PW into the root of my domain.  I can log in and out at will with no problems.  I am using a standard PW site (can't remember if it was beginner or intermediate) as a starting point.  For example when I create a child page for the home page using the basic-page template, it shows up on the line of tabs at the top of the home page, but when I select that tab I just get my host's domain holding page.  In case it helps, on the newly created child's settings page it says:

' Access is inherited from page "/" and defined with template: home'

I presume that this is because I had to uncomment   RewriteBase / in htaccess to make things work in the first place?

ProcessWire's internal access management has nothing to do with your htaccess settings. The rewrite base is only needed so that pretty urls are correctly transformed to parameters which processwire can understand, nothing more. The inherited access you mentioned means, that your current page inherits the access management of the root page. This page has the template "home" and therefore you can change who can access the current page in the settings of this template. 

Now to your problem: Do other pages work as expected? What exactly do you mean by "line of tabs"? What does the link look like, which takes you to the wrong page?

Are you aware of what the few default site profiles supplied with PW look like?  I have one of the simpler ones installed and have created only one child page at present: Contact.  It appears as a link at the top of the home page, see:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_3Dx4GuBdAlcEY4WkVyRGdhc1E/view?usp=sharing

All of the other original links as supplied by the PW installation work; it's just my new link which brings up the domain holding page.

For example when I create a child page for the home page using the basic-page template, it shows up on the line of tabs at the top of the home page,

let's clear up some terminology :)

a lot of people call menus tabs. But i'm sorry, they are not tabs, or anything close to or related to tabs.

It's not your fault, and a lot of my clients say 'tabs' and i have to reply 'do you mean the menu?'

but when I select that tab I just get my host's domain holding page.  In case it helps, on the newly created child's settings page it says:

so when you choose to view a page, using the main navigation, something is going wrong.

I presume that this is because I had to uncomment   RewriteBase / in htaccess to make things work in the first place?

it depends on whether the rewrite base rule is correct. is your domain in the root?

what is the URL of the child page you are not seeing?

are there any server error logs, or any processwire logs?

have you installed the diagnostics module and checked the server environment, to make sure it meets the requirements?

have you created any new templates in the admin?

for example, have you created a new page called contact, using some self-created new template, but not added that template to the templates directory?

So many questions!  Here goes:

Thanks for the correction on terminology.  Menu not tabs.

The RewriteBase / is uncommented in htaccess because PW wouldn't install properly without it. 

In my domain the PW site and wire folders are my-domain/wire and my-domain/site.

the path to my-domain/index.php is /vhost/vhost15/x/x/x/my-domain/www/index.php

the child page was created using the existing basic-page template.  It's url is www.my-domain.com/contact/

Diagnostics output:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_3Dx4GuBdAldHVTSWNaeG4xbVU/view?usp=sharing

I haven't created any new templates in admin (yet!)

I have successfully changed the google font on the site profile.

I have added the following script to the to the top of _init.php in my site directory to allow my existing index.html page to lead into my existing website until I can get the PW site working to replace it.  (see my previous post 'Running processwire site in unpublished mode')

the only things i can really suggest is try creating another new page under an existing page, like the example about page. if the other siblings show but the new page doesn't show then it's either unpublished, or you have some markup that is causing it to fail but if you make a new blank page using an existing template then it should show up. you may also need to test by removing the redirect temporarily.

I tried several things without success so I've gone back a step and hopefully will have narrowed down the possibilities.

I fully deleted PW and did a fresh install using the intermediate minimal site profile.  All other settings are as described above except that there have been no modifications to the scripts with the exception of uncommenting the RewriteBase / in htaccess.

When I make a child page of 'About' using basic-page template it is viewable (the link is towards the bottom of the 'About' page, not in the head menu) and everything is fine and viewable whether I am logged in or not.

When I make a child page of 'Home' using basic-page template it is NOT viewable whether I am logged in or not - it just displays the domain holding page. The title of the child page does however appear in the top menu of the home page.

If I then make a child page of that non-functioning child page then that second generation child page IS viewable whether I am logged in or not (but I have to get to it by typing its web address because its parent page is non functional (or should I say non viewable?).

The non-functioning child page does NOT have a check mark in the 'Unpublished. Not visible on site' box.

Any ideas?

To give further clues:

If I now re-comment out the RewriteBase / in htaccess then the home page still displays OK, all other originally supplied pages give a 500 error, and the three child pages I created give a domain holding page.

The silence is deafening.  I take it that this PW malfunction appears to be unique to me and nobody has any idea what to do to fix it. Thank you anyway to those who tried and those who maybe thought about it.  Guess I had better look at a different CMS.

just logged in and your site is working fine:

Here is the reason why you were having problems:

- you created a page called /contact/, but in your root folder there is already a directory called /contact/ so processwire would not process that URL because it is an existing dir.

- inside that directory, there was no index.html file; so this was causing the server error page to appear.

i added an index.html and you can now see the results of that.

• Like 5

Thank you so much.  By looking at my actual site you could see the problem that I was not aware of.  I really appreciate your help in solving that one.

Do you have any idea why the line:

if(!$user->isLoggedin()) $session->redirect("/index.html");

which I have at the top of my _init.php has stopped working: when I am logged in to PW admin and try to view the home page it goes to index.html (my existing html website's index page) and not index.php the PW homepage on my domain?  At present I can only view it by typing the url in a browser.

it's working for me; if i'm logged in, and i go to the root URL, i see processwire.

if i logout and click home icon, i see the non-PW site.

make sure that you are not already loading the index.html page because if that is loaded, you are already bypassed PW

• Like 2