Zimbra Anyone ?

pwired

People are getting tired of the growing arrogant privacy violations

done by google, facebook, etc. the list goes on.

My idea is to offer email with zero privacy violations.

Maybe I should setup a linux box and simply start experimenting.

In a previous life I used to do IT support in a school, and I was responsible for a Zimbra install there.

For them, it was (and still is) a very good and capable system. Different settings for staff/students, external access, IMAP for mobile users, LDAP integration, the works. The management features and API are robust and featureful. To an extent, it's very customisable. From the time I implemented it, (around 2008) its ownership has changed hands several times but has gone from strength to strength.

On the technical side, you will need a server with a lot of resources to run it. It is not a lightweight webmail client like RoundCube or Horde; it is an entire self-contained product that bundles its own SQL server (currently MySQL), mail agent, web application server, antivirus/antispam, logging, monitoring services and more.

I'm not sure if it's worth the resource overhead and hassle if it's just going to be 1-2 accounts on a single domain and you are the one maintaining it. But your situation and priorities may be different :)

• Like 2

It is more an idealistic intend to offer and promote zero privacy violation email.

At the same time it will give me some indication how many ppl out there really

are looking for this. And if enough maybe sell publicity only on the login page.

No idea really if this is something realistic but will be worth the try.