how to edit text content in cms

tomek

I received my website from my webmaster and need to do same changes in text content like font colours, spaces between lines and other basic functions.

Some texts have got a bar to do changes but there are very few and I would also like to know how to add other functions like eg font colour.

Could anybody help me.

Another thing is that only a "body" has got this bar. Othe fields like "summary" don't.

How can I add this bar to other fields?

Attached I send the print screen.

Thank you very much for your answear.

regards

tomas

Hi Tomas, welcome to the forum.

All this depends a lot on how the website was built. The ideal would be to talk to your webmaster and ask him, but I understand that sometimes for some reason that's not possible. For the color question we would need to know what editor you are using, CKEditor or TinyMCE. To know this, go to the field settings and check what is the "inputfield type". In the same line, to add the bar to "Summary", go to that field's settings and change it's type to the same as the other.

The print screen is missing.

Fields with the 'bar' are fields of the type Textarea, that have enabled the so called rich text editor CKEditor (or TinyMCE for older PW versions). By default, the summary field has not. This can be easily changed, if you have the correct admin permissions.

If possible i would contact the person who build the site first.

Diogo beat me to a reply!

To look at the field setting, on your admin menu you need to go to 

Settings > Fields

And you will see all your fields listed.

If you cannot see Settings, then your webmaster has not given you the permissions, you will need to contact him/her

Edit: SiNNuT is right, you can break your site if you do not know how it has been set up. And obviously, we don't know either as each ProcessWire site is completely different.

Hi Tomas, welcome to the forum.

All this depends a lot on how the website was built. The ideal would be to talk to your webmaster and ask him, but I understand that sometimes for some reason that's not possible. For the color question we would need to know what editor you are using, CKEditor or TinyMCE. To know this, go to the field settings and check what is the "inputfield type". In the same line, to add the bar to "Summary", go to that field's settings and change it's type to the same as the other.

The print screen is missing.

They are CKEditor.

Fields with the 'bar' are fields of the type Textarea, that have enabled the so called rich text editor CKEditor (or TinyMCE for older PW versions). By default, the summary field has not. This can be easily changed, if you have the correct admin permissions.

If possible i would contact the person who build the site first.

I think I have a full permission.

Could you give me some tips how to put "bars" to other text boxes?

The best thing to do is to experiment first.

The CKEditor can only be applied to Textareas.

Go to Setup > Fields and and new. 

Give your new field a name like my_textarea (lowercase, no spaces and so on).

Choose the field type textarea

Give the field a label.

Click save.

A new tab will appear - Details

From the Input Field Type, select CK editor

Save.

You have now created a field with the editor.

To add that to a template go to

Setup Template:

Choose a template (I have no idea what has been set up) and when you click on the template, you can add your new field. 

Once that is saved, edit any page that uses that template and you will see your field.

So, as you can see, the CKeditor field is just a textarea field with CKeditor added.

Has your site been fully designed with everything you need added? And is it up and running on the web?

Also, you haven't said whether you are in contact with your web master.

Joss

ok, I did what u said and I hache this field ready with editing "bar".

can I change fields prapared by my webmaster into "textares" (if some are different) without messing up in the website?

And how can I add more function into the editing "bar"?

M webmaster is on holidays and I need to prepare the page until monday evening.

Actually the page is already running at www.monstertlumaczy.pl

thanks very much form your time snd support.

Oh man! That website looks nice, just don't ruin it :)

--

If you have a recent version of PW, go to the field settings—as you did before—and in tab "input" you will find "ckeditor toolbar". Add "TextColor" or even "TextColor, BGColor" (if you want to be able to change also the background) to the text area like in this screenshot:

post-88-0-99611600-1415465167_thumb.png

No guarantees that this will work. Depends on how the website is set up.

ok, I did what u said and I hache this field ready with editing "bar".

can I change fields prapared by my webmaster into "textares" (if some are different) without messing up in the website?

And how can I add more function into the editing "bar"?

M webmaster is on holidays and I need to prepare the page until monday evening.

Actually the page is already running at www.monstertlumaczy.pl

thanks very much form your time snd support.

diogo has already partially beaten me to it it, but:

You can probably convert non-CKEditor textarea fields, like summary, to CKEditor, BUT:

Using CKEditor will make html contents, unlike plain text in  a regular textarea. This potentially can severely mess up your layout, if you don't know what you are doing. So plz. be carefull.

CKE_options.jpg

I agree with the other two.

If your webmaster has set up fields as textareas without more powerful editing, that means they are intentionally avoiding colours, text sizing and so on because it will mess up the page.

How the text looks is being controlled by the css styling, not by the text field. That is a good way of doing things, it can save a lot of things getting very messed up!

Diogo is right - the site is nice.

If possible, I would strongly suggest just using the fields as they are for the moment. If you mess the layout, you will really kick yourself.

Which page are you trying to edit and in what way?

Also, if your webmaster designed the site, who is he/she? They may be a regular here.

Oh man! That website looks nice, just don't ruin it :)

--

If you have a recent version of PW, go to the field settings—as you did before—and in tab "input" you will find "ckeditor toolbar". Add "TextColor" or even "TextColor, BGColor" (if you want to be able to change also the background) to the text area like in this screenshot:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-11-08 at 16.40.34.png

No guarantees that this will work. Depends on how the website is set up.

thanks but, unfortunately, it doesn't work. The new options are not added. Have any got any other idea. There must be same solutions or the abbreviations are wrong

diogo has already partially beaten me to it it, but:

You can probably convert non-CKEditor textarea fields, like summary, to CKEditor, BUT:

Using CKEditor will make html contents, unlike plain text in  a regular textarea. This potentially can severely mess up your layout, if you don't know what you are doing. So plz. be carefull.

CKE_options.jpg

I agree with the other two.

If your webmaster has set up fields as textareas without more powerful editing, that means they are intentionally avoiding colours, text sizing and so on because it will mess up the page.

How the text looks is being controlled by the css styling, not by the text field. That is a good way of doing things, it can save a lot of things getting very messed up!

Diogo is right - the site is nice.

If possible, I would strongly suggest just using the fields as they are for the moment. If you mess the layout, you will really kick yourself.

Which page are you trying to edit and in what way?

Also, if your webmaster designed the site, who is he/she? They may be a regular here.

ok. I will follow your suggestions. Anyway, I must find some solutions for adding new options for the existing textarea. Any ideas?

For me some information need to be emphasized that why I am looking for some options

My webaster is Marcin form Poland.

For emphasizing text you would normally use italics, bold or both combined. These are part of the default buttons a CKEditor field. This will result in some html:

<strong>strong</strong>
<em>em</em>
<strong><em>strong and em</em></strong>

But maybe you mean something else.

On a sidenote: the CSS could be setup to not even show (on the front-end) the differences.

ok. I will follow your suggestions. Anyway, I must find some solutions for adding new options for the existing textarea. Any ideas?

For me some information need to be emphasized that why I am looking for some options

My webaster is Marcin form Poland.

This sitehttp://monstertlumaczy.pl/tlumaczenia/ for example needs more space between some lines what will underline some clue information. Another think is that I would prefer the text to be left and right justified and now it is not.

Background colour probably will not work in your case because it wont affect the container on the front end of the site.

Text colour should, however.

Looking at one of my own, I have just added TextColor to the toolbar row as shown above and that works. 

After you save the field and you reload the page you are trying to edit, is the Text Colour button showing?

I think you may have some problems here.

Do you mean you would like more space between paragraphs?

Other than adding another blank paragraph in between (just press return at the end of a line) the actual setting for this is not being done by the editor at all, but by the back end scripts. 

When it comes to justify, have you got the justify buttons showing on the editor? If not, this means a plugin has to be installed as this is not part of the default installation. 

Looking at the design, I would avoid underlining - it wont be in keeping with the design of the site and will look out of place. I think you would regret that, to be honest.

Background colour probably will not work in your case because it wont affect the container on the front end of the site.

Text colour should, however.

Looking at one of my own, I have just added TextColor to the toolbar row as shown above and that works. 

After you save the field and you reload the page you are trying to edit, is the Text Colour button showing?

You know, what. I must leave now or my wife will kill me. I am stucked to this computer since morning, actually, since morning 1 month ago and we go to a party today that started an hour ago.

I will be back tomorrow and, if so will you, we finish tomorrow. Anyway I have to finish it.

Thank you all veeeery much for today and see u tomorrow.

• Like 1

Thank you very much guys for all your help. I finally managed to put these colour font into the text. I know what I did wrong before when it did not work out. I just had to learn the structure of this cms and now I am much smarter. Thanks to you.

Thank you again.

In case in more help I will get in touch.

See you

• Like 1