Update automatically

Nico Knoll

Hi,

it would be really great if Processwire could check if there is newer version of it (maybe with LazyCron) and if there is one show a link to updadate automatically. That shouldn't so hard to make I guess. (Pres link -> zip downloads automatically -> zip unzips automatically -> replaces "wire" (or parts of it) -> check if there is a update.sql in the package to update the database).

And maybe you could just have a look on the WordPress code because WordPress already has this function :)

Greets,

Nico

Good idea. We could do this, and I think we definitely will, but it's not as easy as it sounds. On most servers, the file system is not writable to ProcessWire (except for /site/assets/). So the way around that is for ProcessWire to perform the upgrade through a PHP FTP client (and user supplies the login information to ProcessWire). I'm guessing that's not particularly difficult to do FTP through PHP, but I just haven't tried it yet. Extracting ZIP files is also something that's not as universal as I'd like, but we'll make do.

When we build this, we'll probably do it with a module. I'm not sure I want ProcessWire to 'phone home' unless the user tells it to, so it could be a module that's not installed by default, but once installed, it will start phoning home to check on version (using LazyCron, like you suggested).

That would be great to have. Thanks for bringing it up Nico.

Can someone please shift time 2 years forward! Can't wait for all these features to come.

---

Oh, would it need to be automaticly or lazy cron, just a manual check would be enough?