Don't be a glasshole! :)

horst

Years and years ago I saw a film, the name of which I have long forgotten.

There was a recurring gag in the film of the lecturer who discovered that more and more of his students were being replaced by tape recorders, till he was the only one left in the lecture hall and the benches were littered with tape recorders of varying types.

The last sequence returned to the lecture hall to find no one in the hall at all; the lecturer had replaced himself with a tape machine playing back his lecture to the waiting student tape recorders

The temptation with google glasses is to do the same - if the audience insists on viewing via the google glass camera, perhaps the lecturer/performer should simply put up a cardboard cutout with a taped performance. if the audience cannot be bothered to enjoy the spectacle live properly, why should the performer bother?

And social engineer the people who use them!

Apple truly excel at this. One marvels at how many people they've made believe the sun shines outta Apples *** and will defend Apple's every move / decision, no matter how restrictive and limiting it is to others...

Very nice artwork in that article and ya gottta love that websites name too.... stopthecyborgs.org  :biggrin:

Love this threads title by the way, horst !!! >:D:P

Seems that the general opinion of things like Google Glass is rather negative.. or the folks who oppose these are just making more noise than those loving 'em. Even if just to fill the role of contrarian, I'll have to disagree with (what I see as) the general opinion :)

Perhaps it's just that I've grown up watching sci-fi flicks with all sorts of gadgets and ways to use (and abuse) them, but I see at least as many benefits as there are possible, plausible drawbacks to these things. Some of the arguments made against them, such as blaming Google Glass for people being able to videotape and share videos or pictures of public events, seem kind of ridiculous too. How is that a new thing, really?

Anyway, personally I find Google Glass an exceptional piece of technology and the concept in general something that will make it's breakthrough at some point (though whether that's through Google's implementation remains to be seen). It's just a matter of time.

<rant>

About the lecturers turning into cardboard cutouts and tape machines gag: if a pre-recorded message is all the lecturer has to offer (seen that, been there, makes me pretty damn angry each time) by all means please do this. Share a pre-recorded lecture online. Do whatever you have to, but don't force folks to come to that so-called lecture just to hear a non-changing, non-reactive speech you've given thousands of times before.

As long as the lecturer knows how to work with the crowd and how to adapt to it's actions and level of knowledge, I don't think this is a real threat.. even if it makes a good gag :)

</rant>

• Like 1

I do not mind that people should not play. But by my school days Orwell was still required reading.  :)

I just came to the conclusion that the large corporations seem to see people of all ages simply as beef cattle or slaves. In central Europe statistically every person up to age 70 buys for 4 million euros goods, including food, clothes, etc.  (1 human == 4 million euros)

Industrial food corporations don't want new born humans getting mother's milk. Why don't want they? I could go on and ask some questions about pharmacy cooperations or others, but the parallels should be clear already.

Google want to install a global ring with new telecommunication Satellites. For this, they invest 3 billion euros. (or only dollars?) Do they do so just that people have something to play? I think no.

And if someone now want to ask what Google and their glasses has to do with the industrial food corporations, well -, then it seems to be darker than I 've thought.

(Google is a corporation with commercial interests. Their goods are informations and they sell them to who ever want to buy them, most likely to those who have much much much money.)

------

@teppo: No offence here, but if you think we live in a beautiful world and are free to do what we like, (and maybe you think I'm to old to be up to date with younger lifestyle) than go and ask some greek people in the same age as you are. If you don't know greek young people, go and ask some from spain or portugal. They all live in free democratic countries for more than 60 years, - not in repressive systems, - but only on the paper. :(

------

EDIT:

I like some points of http://criticalengineering.org/en and if you have something like 'repair cafes' in your neighbourhood and go there, you will see that today mostly all of the technical goods have some quirks in it that are not good to the people who have buied them. It could be simple things like the primary transformer that scale down voltage to suite the needs of the actual good. It seems to be common now to built in components for higher costs but results in lesser quality. Example: in germany you have 230V and the electronic industry offers 'one piece components' that scale down the voltage to 12V with a max usage of 1 ampere (just an example, not sure if I recall all parameters right here). These components have a cost of 50 cent per piece for the corporation if they take some thousands. But now a days most corporations like to buy and built in components for a cost of 80 cent per piece that supports a voltage scale down to 15V. You can compare this with overclocking your PC RAM and CPU. The goods work fine but get more damaged with every minute you use it - and without any adavantages for you in the usage. Question: why do the corporations not want to save 30 cent per piece? (If they sell 10 million goods, there would be 1 million more income)

If you like I can provide more examples: Recently we need to buy a new washing machine because the 4-5 year old one doesn't work anymore. After opening it we saw that only the carbon brushes of the electric motor were worn down. But we don't get new carbon brushes in the needed sizes anywhere. Also the electric motor wasn't build / designed to get opened in an easy way (like it was in the past for nearly every sized electric motors). That results in buying a new washing machine = costs 500,- euro. Carbon brushes would have cost 5 - 10 euros? And a professional repair service, for those who cannot do those things by themself, may have a cost of 50,- to 100,- euros? Having the the machine repaired has many benefits / advantages for the community / humans / nature etc., but not for the big corporations.

So, I think one need some different points of view if a community builds a CMS / CMF framework or if a global corporation like Google does. The motivations and interests are different.

• Like 1

@teppo: No offense here, but if you think we live in a beautiful world and are free to do what we like, (and maybe you think I'm to old to be up to date with younger lifestyle) than go and ask some greek people in the same age as you are. If you don't know greek young people, go and ask some from spain or portugal. They all live in free democratic countries for more than 60 years, - not in repressive systems, - but only on the paper. :(

Absolutely no offence taken and trust me; I've no delusions about our way of life, so-called democratic systems or the nature of humankind in general. The world we live in is what we (or those of us with resources and power, in one form or another) make it to be -- and "beautiful" is very rarely how I'd describe it :)

Would love to write a longer note and go on about subjects such as technology being both a method of enslaving people and, on the other hand, liberating them (depending on who uses it and for what purposes). I'm in a hurry here so that'll have to wait, but in a nutshell very few things are purely black or white and there are also a myriad of ways to interpret these things.

• Like 1