"Expiration date" for pages

formmailer

Hi!

Today I found a page (on a non-PW site) that contained old information and links. This gave me the idea for a new feature in PW (probably a module):

Wouldn't it be nice to have a warning (e-mail and/or notification in the admin area) about pages that are older than x days since they were last saved? I think it would be a great help to page editors.

My suggestion would be to have a default value (eg. 120 days) that can be overrided on template level (maybe page level).

At the same time we can change the behaviour, so the page gets unpublished.

All of this can of course be done in the templates with a check when the page is loaded, but a module seems like a better solution. The check could be started by a cron job or just running a manual check by requesting an URL.

As for myself I haven't jumped into making modules (but I certainly will in the future), so if anyone thinks this is a good idea, feel free to use it.

/Jasper

This is a great idea!

I used to use a CMS system when I worked in a local government department and they weren't in fasct allowed to use any CMS system that didn't contain this functionality, otherwise important content might never get updated.

Would be good to even be able to set this in page settings and have child pages inherit, so for a news section it doesn't need a reminder of any type, but for informational sections you could pick 6/9/12/24 months.

I think this would be good to have as a module definitely.

Another thing the local government CMS did was actually have the ability to email the author, so perhaps a once-a-week round-up of pages that need to be updated soon or are out of date.

The big problem I can already see with it though is how to you mark it as "okay" if there are no changes other than saving the page with no changes? That solution would be undesirable as people might expect the content to have changed in that case. Maybe a table that tracks "last checked" dates?