Dynamic CSS

diogo

What would be the best way of having dynamic CSS in all pages without making it heavy to process?

• external style.php with a content-type header instead of style.css
  • internal stylesheet on header.inc, or on a dedicated include
  • other :)

I think it depends how dynamic it will be. If you need a lot of .css then I would just make module which reads and writes css files. If you need to set few css rules like change bg image or stuff like that, then I would use inline css.

In this case it's for a simple construction page. There will be three circles with some info and i want them to be in different positions every time the page loads.I only need dynamic margin-top and margin-left for each circle. For this one It's only one page, so I think I will do it as Apeisa suggested, but I was also wondering how to do it on a bigger website, even if it's only to have variables on css without using something like Sass.

@Diogo:

•  
  • in cases like this, it's  safe to go with inline styles - they work everywhere and properly documented, they're also easy to maintain, disregard haters - for simple randomization like this it's okay

• if you want to do this on bigger scale, I would rather generate 5-10 CSS files (possibly with LESS, SASS, or PHP), and I would randomize which i include (rather than the properties themselves).This, way, you have both randomized CSS and less computing involved/caching available.

I agree with Adam about using inline styles. There is a place where inline styles are appropriate, and this seems like a good example of one. Also, jQuery/Javascript is another thing to consider.