link root url automatic to subfolder

pwired

Sorry, I know this question is already answered somewhere in the forum but can't seem to find it.

I have installed pw in a subfolder under the root url. If a visitor types in the root url in his browser,

e.g. mydomain.com, how do I link automatically mydomain.com to mydomain.com/subfolder/index.php ?

I remember I have to put a .htaccess file in the root but I don't know what to put inside the .htaccess file.

Thanks. If you unzip pw it is extracted to a folder where the pw folders and files reside. Is it normal to

unzip pw on a server like that so that you install it from that folder ? Or does one have to repack the

folders and files in a pw zip file so that only the direct pw folders and files are inside a zip file and then

unzip that on the server so that the pw folders and files are not inside a folder but directly in the root ?

Regarding the first part of your question: if you want PW to run from the root of your domain, it's best to install it in the root so that you have /index.php, /wire/ and /site/, and not /subfolder/index.php, /subfolder/wire/, and /subfolder/site/. I'm glad you found a rewrite rule that works in your case, but I'm not confident that PW will be totally happy with it as it does consider various server variables to determine the installed path–page URLs might still reflect the subfolder. 

Or does one have to repack the
folders and files in a pw zip file so that only the direct pw folders and files are inside a zip file and then
unzip that on the server so that the pw folders and files are not inside a folder but directly in the root ?

I don't totally understand the question. But if you need to ZIP up a copy of a site, then you only need to create a ZIP of the /site/ folder. Everything else (which is just index.php, .htaccess, and /wire/) can be obtained with a fresh copy of PW. When I'm backing up sites, I usually just backup the /site/ folder since I know everything else can be easily obtained. 

• Like 2