Stripe arrives to continental Europe

diogo

OH MY GOD I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER ABOUT THIS NEWS!

Yes, my caps lock was on for a reason there, and yes, I'm working on a module for Jason already :D

During my tests, Stripe can be described as nothing short of awesome. It's got the nicest looking backend (ahem) and is a doddle to use! Module on its way soon :)

The great thing when you go to click on a button to make a payment is that stripe's module just slides down the screen in sort of a modal overlay, but the card details being entered are going straight to Stripe's site, so no PCI headaches as whilst it looks like payment details are entered on your site they're not and the customer gets a smooth experience to boot.

Basically, other merchants should take note (yes, you too PayPal).

EDIT: Oh, it's been around in the UK since March? Why did nobody tell me? Last time I had a look for decent UK merchants was February and didn't notice when doing the module for Jason that it was available in the UK too  :rolleyes: 

• Like 8

I think I've been getting confused - it must have been in a private beta earlier this year and I'm not as blind as I thought. The actual launch appears to have been the 15th of August so I don't feel so bad now: https://stripe.com/blog/introducing-stripe-uk

I think the only drawback is that they don't offer the ability to transfer to your bank account on demand, favouring a 7 day automatic rolling payment schedule (to be honest having the money in their system a few days longer is probably one of the ways they make a profit from the system aside from the fees - which are 1% lower than PayPal).

I don't think that that is really a huge deal though as there is usually some waiting period for transfers with most merchants and in this case you can know in advance what day each week money will land in your bank.

The fact that they've opened a London office and are working with other European countries as well as Australia also shows their commitment to going global and the fact that they are likely to be around a while. I think they've got the potential to take quite a slice of the market at this rate, or certainly stir it up and kick a few bums into action in terms of the more archaic merchants out there.

• Like 2