Pagination / Max page numbers?

RyanJ

I am currently using pagination on my search results and just realized that I get a 404 error for any page number exceeding 999.

works fine

www.mysite.com/url/search/page999/ 

Does not work, 1000 or greater returns 404

www.mysite.com/url/search/page1000/ 

That might be a bug/unwanted behavior in core, don't know. But honestly: 999 pages in a pagination? Sounds highly user-unfriendly. I hope your'e just filing a bug here and don't really use so many pages in a pagination =)

• Like 1

Have you enabled template caching ? Something tells me it works till 999..

Make it stop at 999 then. Most likely people are not interested in the 999 page or 100.

I think it's better if result are that high to tell the user to narrow the search.

(Youtube api is doing the same, stops at 999)

It's very unlikely such a search would be performed, but i caught it during some testing, so i guess it would be possible. Cache is not enabled and if i understand correctly GET variables are not cached anyway? Requiring the user to limit the search is a great idea though.

• Like 1

It's important for there to be a hard limit on page numbers just from a caching perspective. You don't want to have anything in your site that can generate an unlimited number of cache files and fill up the hard drive. But that doesn't mean the limit has to be 999, just that 999 is what I perceived to be the upper limit of what would ever be even remotely practical to support in pagination. I'm fine with making this configurable though, but hope you guys use it to configure the number down rather than up. :) 

• Like 3

I'm fine with making this configurable though, but hope you guys use it to configure the number down rather than up.

Or even better. By making it configurable, you can perfectly have a much lower default.
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...