Thoughts on Saving

Pete

The ListAfterSave module by adamkiss saved me lots of time yesterday when importing some very basic pages where it was quicker to do it manually than write an importer - very handy module.

One thing I would say about this whole area of what to do when a page is saved is that I think it could do with being improved in the core itself.

There are a few extra options I've used in MODx in terms of page saving that I think would be beneficial here, as in some cases when I save a page I will want to return to the page list, in other cases I'll want to immediately add another page to the same section and in some cases I'll want to save and stay editing the same page.

Below is MODx's solution - a drop-down that remembers which selection you've made, presumably by way of a session variable as there's no need to remember it for more than the current browser session.

The ListAfterSave module does get me part way there if I want to add a new page quicker, but there's still an additional click to be made and, multiplied over many iterations when you're copying in text for a client for example it would be handy if there was a quicker method such as this.

Additionally, that toolbar in the image below scrolls down the page with you as well which I found a bit neat - handier on long pages where you're making a tweak to one field halfway down a long list of fields and you just click Save rather than scrolling up/down to save. Not at all necessary, but I like nice UI features like that.

post-1356-132614278626_thumb.gif

I think we'll have to build a module to provide this functionality in the near future (or include it as a configurable option in the PageEdit module, if necessary). I've run into the same need a few times when adding a bunch of pages. It would be nice to just create one right after the other. At  the same time, I don't really like having a control like that permanently fixed to the interface like it is in modx. So I think we'll make it something that the powerusers can enable when it suits the need.