Hosting Question: Nearlyfreespeech.net users?

daniel-not-dan

Hosting question. I've been using nearlyfreespeech.net to host all of my static websites up to now. Just moving into using it for a Processwire site and am having some permission issues. 

From looking at their forums, all questions about this are generally forwarded to this entry in their FAQ (attached). I've attached the whole entry as a txt file b/c the FAQ is in a members-only area of the site. The part I'm struggling with is this:

1. Set the directory in which you will be writing files to have group web.
  2. Set the top-level PHP script doing the writing to have group web.

Now, I'm just a simple designer, and while I understand setting permissions in Filezilla, I don't understand what the "group web" setting is, nor can I find any resources on this anywhere.

Their forums aren't nearly as friendly as the forums here, so I'm hoping someone here has some experience with nfs and can help me out.

I like using them because they only charge for what you use, and you don't get a butt-load of "simple website builders" and "ecommerce helpers" and other nonsense in your package that you'll never use, so I'd like to stay with them. The downside (for me at least) is that I guess they have stricter security settings than I'm used to.

Much obliged in advance!

nfs-faq.txt

I had an account there some time ago, but gave up because it was not possible to install symphony due to their strict security settings. Just like with symphony, I think it won't be possible to install PW there.

Edit: I really like their faq. In the time I read all of it, and learned a lot about hosting.

How interesting...

While I'm disappointed, I'm glad the answer (so far) is as simple as "don't use it". Makes the (non)decision easier!

I'll have a look around the forum for some other options...

Thanks, Diogo!

EDIT: Diogo - agreed. It's a surprisingly thorough FAQ. I often look over it if I have hosting/domain/database issues even if the site I'm working on isn't being hosted there.

I think it won't be possible to install PW there.

Sorry to disagree, but you can and it works fine. They offer 2 different server configurations and the PHP Flex one works with PW. (And PW plays very nicely with MariaDB, which they use, but I think we already knew that.)

I think I might have had to chown a couple of PW folders, but that was all, if I remember correctly.

Sorry for the wrong info. I didn't remember the PHP Flex mode. But they really advise not to turn safe_mode off, and say there is a big performance penalty for that...

PHP safe_mode was deprecated in 5.3.0 and eliminated starting in version 5.4.0. If the web host is advising not to turn it off, it would make me concerned about that web host's security. Any idea why they are advising that or suggesting that it involves a performance penalty? (it sure shouldn't)

The PHP safe mode is an attempt to solve the shared-server security problem. It is architecturally incorrect to try to solve this problem at the PHP level, but since the alternatives at the web server and OS levels aren't very realistic, many people, especially ISP's, use safe mode for now. Source: php.net

I'm going to answer from what I remember, so It's possible that I will say something wrong again. But this host is peculiar because they accept any (legal) kind of website, and are heavily attacked by hackers/haters. Because it's a shared host, and knowing that lots's of websites will be under attack, they close all the doors, and that's why they have safe_mode as one of the main components of their environment. To give the possibility to turn off safe_mode for some users, they created the "flex" environment (as opposed to the "fast" environment), that takes other security measures that apparently have great impact on performance. You can see the  difference between both here http://php53.nfshost.com/

• Like 1