confused - is PW more complicated than I need?

fredthered83

Hi Everyone,
I am new to PW and I am still trying to figure out if it is the solution I need for a specific site Im working on.

My situation is I have made a website for a company which they need to be able to Content Manage.

What I need PW for is to create the user a back end to log into which will display all their current projects with images and allow them to view/insert/edit/update and delete them (multiple image upload required). Each of these projects/records will have a Title, Short description, Full description and 4 images.

I don't need to confuse the client with any other options such as creating templates or pages etc.. They just need to edit the projects and then view them live on the site. Is it possible to do this in PW?

I have installed PW on my web server already and had a play around with the basic site but cannot see how to display and edit records from the DB.

Any advice you can give as to whether Im barking up the wrong tree with PW or any links to tutorials which may cover my situation. Any tutorials I have seen so far don't cover editing records just editing page content..

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Hello Fred, welcome to the forum.

ProcessWire is as simple or as complicated as you want it to be, and I doubt that there is any other CMS that allows for extreme simplicity as PW does. When you enter the admin for the first time you are logged in as superuser, and that's why you see the setup and modules links. To give you an idea of how the admin would be for your client follow these steps:

• Go to Access->Roles and create a new role named "editor". Check the boxes "View pages", "Edit pages" and "Delete pages". Press "Publish".
  • Go to Access->Users and create a new user. Give the user a password, and under "Roles" check the boxes "guest" and "editor". Press "save".

Now logout and login with the new user credentials (tip: use incognito mode from your browser, so you don't have to logout). You will notice that the admin is completely stripped of any advanced actions.

As for the projects, the Processwire way of doing this is by creating a new page for each project. Have a look at these tutorials to get a feeling of how it works:

http://wiki.processwire.com/index.php/Small_Project_Walkthrough

http://wiki.processwire.com/index.php/Basic_Website_Tutorial

hi fred,

I don't need to confuse the client with any other options such as creating templates or pages etc.. They just need to edit the projects and then view them live on the site. Is it possible to do this in PW?

yes, pw is perfect for that. i have a site up and running which does (nearly) that and can help you if you have more specific questions.

in short, the pw admin area for your client requires an access managed template as diogo described that holds the necessary fields (more on fields and field types and templates here and here). each project than is a "page" (which in pw doesn't necessarily mean a visible frontend site) that contains the data for this project - and that's it. dead simple.

feel free to ask if you would like to give it a try.

• Like 1

Fred, think of it as this way. Each project can be located in a "page" under "portfolio". In the page you can set up fields that have an image, description, date, whatever else you want. You can make a template that allows these fields under the portfolio section. That way whenever your client enters a new page under portfolio they just get those fields to enter in info.

Above the portfolio section you can have different templates that decide what goes on in the other section of the site. For example you can have a different template for news or contact or etc.

Pretty easy to do. Give us some more info on what you need and we can help!