Weekly update – 20 September 2024

ryan

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I’ve got to do a lot of traveling in September and October, and so that means not a lot of core updates in the short term. Core activity may be a little quiet till the end of October. Sorry about that, I feel especially bad I’m not providing any good material for ProcessWire Weekly. But I’ll make up for it later, I promise! I’ve been reluctant to push any significant updates to the core because it is quite stable right now. So I’ll hold off on anything major till the traveling is done.

I did just push one update to the dev branch that I think is a good addition though. I noticed recently that on a couple sites I work with, there was some markup cached with $cache that never seemed to expire. I tracked it down to an issue in WireCacheDatabase where some caches had ended up with invalid MySQL dates somehow or another. WireCacheDatabase now implements its own cache maintenance that ensures these never-expiring caches get deleted. In doing that, the cache maintenance process became more efficient as well, as it’s all handled with a single delete query, rather than multiple select and delete queries. If you’ve been noticing anything cached by $cache that doesn’t seem to be expiring when it should, it’s worth grabbing the current dev branch, or at least the updated /wire/core/WireCacheDatabase.php file from the current dev branch. One way you can tell if you have any caches that shouldn’t be sticking around are if you find any with dates prior to the year 1971, or any with a zero’d out date like 0000-00-00. Maybe there is still a bug to track down that is causing the occasional invalid dates, but at least now those caches won’t last more than 10 minutes.  

There likely won’t be an update here next week, as I’m anticipating no internet access, but there should be the week after next. Thanks for reading, have a great week and weekend!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FireWire said:

Enjoy your time away from the keyboard! Well deserved break.

Seconding this, of course! However, the WireCache fix reminded me of an old issue that still persists as far as I can tell 😉 No upvotes, but still feels like a bug to me: https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/1604 It’s about the preloading feature preventing fresh cache values from being generated.