Looking for an AI assistant for code? Consider Supermaven

gornycreative

So I started playing around with Supermaven's free tier. If you are looking for a code assistant for VSCode I would recommend giving it a try.

I started using it after Theo covered it in one of his tool videos, and I can say it probably shaves about 15 minutes of work per hour for me.

It does a reasonably good job of anticipating structures you are building based on a quick overview of the codebase for your project. I haven't extended the codebase to include the entire source for processwire in my projects, but even with just the minimum core wire folder modules and a few site module source code bits it is more than enough to cover the bases.

I am using the free tier which has a smaller token context limitation, but the code suggestions are fast, they don't feel inappropriately intrusive and don't write-ahead too far until the engine has high confidence in the direction you are trying to go.

When it has high certainty, it opts to give you large code blocks - even entire functions with appropriate substitutions.

It has sped up my RockMigration script writing considerably - beyond the macros, because it sees other migration functions I have defined and does a very good job of anticipating not only the class structures for custom page classes, etc, but also replacing names for new classes with proper singular/plural forms, etc.

I'd say it provides the correct code without modification 85% of the time.

https://supermaven.com/

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. I watched Theo's video but haven't tried it yet. Mainly because I'm very happy with https://codeium.com/. Also very fast and quite good completions. Been using this for almost a year now and it has made much progress in quality and features. In addition to code completion you get AI chat, DocBlock Creation, Refactoring and much more. It seems to very intelligently grasp the context it needs to provide good completions without you having to configure anything. You can even improve performance by fine tuning some settings.

I am using this inside the Cursor editor instead of their Copilot++ feature.

I test supermaven and codeium at the moment. What I like about supermaven, it is superfast. I don't develop that "Copilot pause" on my typing. Codium feels slower as supermaven, but also faster as Copilot.

On codeium, my problem is, that the context of the project is only avaible in the chat, not really in the inline mode (in my testing). So that is something, where I tend more to supermaven at the moment.

(Maybe it is a limitation of the neovim plugin)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiberium said:

I test supermaven and codeium at the moment. What I like about supermaven, it is superfast. I don't develop that "Copilot pause" on my typing. Codium feels slower as supermaven, but also faster as Copilot.

On codeium, my problem is, that the context of the project is only avaible in the chat, not really in the inline mode (in my testing). So that is something, where I tend more to supermaven at the moment.

(Maybe it is a limitation of the neovim plugin)

Thank you for the insight. Just today I had the clear proof that Codeium autocomplete was well aware of the context. At least the last edited file (like they say in their docs). Can't say for sure that it also has context from the whole codebase. Need to check that.

Will also give Supermaven a try and see how it compares.

Out of curiosity, I installed Supermaven yesterday, even though I was quite happy with Codeium, and started playing around with it since then.

For now, I am super impressed by its speed, accuracy, and knowledge. While Codeium is more on the PHP side of things, Supermaven seems to know more about or even understands ProcessWire.