Strange behaviour with selector title!='' and language-alternate title field

Hi there,

i have a selector that goes like this:

$pages->find("has_parent!=2,created<$ts,title=''");

This has worked fine in the past and should get me certain pages that are older than a certain period ($ts) and have an empty title (happens in a circumstance).

However I have no installed Languages Support - Fields. This is only because in ONE Template I wanted to have a language alternate title. I called this field "title_german" and it works as expected.

However: Suddenly the above selector gives me ALL the pages that do not have the field "title_german" filled IF the user has German as his language. In English, everything is fine. 

First of all: Only one template has "title_german" the others only have "title" and it is certainly not empty. Still, they all get selected.
Second of all: Shouldn't looking for "title" in a selector check "title_german" first and if that is empty fallback to "title"? 

I mean, I could check the user language and modify my selector to "title_german" but what if "title_german" is empty and "title" is not?

Any idea how to do this? What did I do wrong? 

Thanks for any input. Sascha

1 hour ago, saschapi said:

However: Suddenly the above selector gives me ALL the pages that do not have the field "title_german" filled IF the user has German as his language. In English, everything is fine. 

Did you perform an ProcessWire upgrade recently? Otherwise something else must have changed.

I know that in multilanguage setups you can create fields like this: image, image_de, image_es to have multilanguage image support - so I assume ignoring the _german part here might be a feature actually.

Maybe changing the field name to title-german would already help, but DON'T try this in your prod environment.

Might test it later in my testing environment.

Update: tried and tried, yet can't really reproduce this issue here. 🤔

Edited by wbmnfktr
added updated

1 hour ago, wbmnfktr said:

Did you perform an ProcessWire upgrade recently? Otherwise something else must have changed.

With "suddenly" I meant after installing language support field. After I uninstalled it the selector worked again. 

Point is: it shouldn't be a feature if alternate language field is used. At least to my understanding. 

Might need to test some more on my site.