Select pages using specific template

JerryDi

Hi,

I am new to PW so please excuse me if this is a bit basic!

I have ~1000 golfer names using the player template. Other templates with results for various championships use the player name in a field called winner_name which is a Page Reference field linked to the player template title field.

When viewing the player page I want to show all related pages that use a specific template. Please can you advise me on the php syntax required?

Thanks

Jerry

assuming your other template name is championship you could do this in your player.php template

$playerChampionships = $pages->find('template=championship, winner_name=$page->id');

foreach($playerChampionships as $championship) {
	// …
}

Thank you for your reply. This is what I have inserted into the template:

<p>Below you can follow links to this player's tournament wins </p> 

<?php

$playerChampionships = $pages->find('template=championship_results, winner_name=§page->id');

echo "$championship <br>";

}

?>

It does not return any results, although the player I am testing it with has 20+ wins to his name. Have I done something wrong? Note..I am also a php novice!

thanks Jerry

One further question if I may:

this works fine, but I now want to add winner_name [which is a PageRef field derived from the title field in a separate template, Players] to the string that is returned

I have tried this additional text [in bold as below], but it only returns the id number for the winner

How can I get it to return the title field from the Players template ie the full winner's name?

<?php

$playerChampionships = $pages->find("template=Championship_results, winner_home_club={$page->id}");

echo "<li><a href='$championship->url'> $championship->title - $championship->winner_name</a></li>";

}
?>

thanks

thanks for this da2,

I had tried this but it produced this: County Championship 2023 - 1442->title

I have reverted to this:          foreach($playerChampionships as $championship) {
echo "<li><a href='$championship->url'> $championship->title - {$championship->winner_name}</a></li>";
}

?>

This produces  County Championship 2023 - 1442

So it's getting the player page ID (1442) but not the title value. As a php newbie I am baffled.

Any further thoughts?

thanks

6 minutes ago, JerryDi said:

I had tried this but it produced this: County Championship 2023 - 1442->title

@JerryDi Looks like you missed something when adding "->title". I suppose you wrote:

echo "<li><a href='$championship->url'> $championship->title - {$championship->winner_name}->title</a></li>";

instead of:

echo "<li><a href='$championship->url'> $championship->title - {$championship->winner_name->title}</a></li>";

Hi, I have tried both of these options and a few others but none of them work

The two you have shown above do not return the page ID, but when I remove ->title, it does return the page ID [1442 being the ID]:

County Championship 1995 - 1442     

Many thanks

J

2 minutes ago, ngrmm said:

@JerryDi could you paste in here the latest version of your code.

<?php

$playerChampionships = $pages->find("template=Championship_results, winner_home_club={$page->id}");

echo "<li><a href='$championship->url'> $championship->title - {$championship->winner_name}</a></li>";

}
?>

as @da² mentioned you missed adding the "->title"

echo "<li><a href='$championship->url'> $championship->title - {$championship->winner_name->title}</a></li>";
}

Then maybe winner_name is a multipagefield and you try this:

echo "<li><a href='$championship->url'> $championship->title - {$championship->winner_name->first->title}</a></li>";
}

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah I understand, we are all forgetting something tiny but quite important: the property to use on User is "name" instead of "title". 😆

echo "<li><a href='$championship->url'> $championship->title - {$championship->winner_name->name}</a></li>";
}

Property "winner_name" should be renamed to "winner" since it's a User instance and not a string. 😉

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 2:10 PM, JerryDi said:

I have ~1000 golfer names using the player template.

Reading that I understand you are not using the User template, isn't it? So the property is still "title" and not "name".

Could you post 2 screenshots from PW admin? One of the "player" template properties (the green bars), and one of the "player" page with ID 1442.