Weekly update – 15 September 2023 – Pro module updates

ryan

This week I've been finishing updates for many of the Pro modules with new versions posted today for the following modules:

• FormBuilder (v55)
  • ProCache (4.0.5)
  • ProMailer (v13)
  • ProDrafts (v10)
  • ProDevTools Form Auto Saver and Reminder, also posted in FormBuilder (v3)
  • ProDevTools Page Auto Saver and Live Preview (v8)
  • ProFields Combo (v12)
  • ProFields RepeaterMatrix (v11)
  • ProFields Table (v25)
  • ProFields Verified URL (v6)
  • ProFields Textareas (v10)
  • ProFields Multiplier (v15)

These new versions don't necessarily contain new features, with a few exceptions. But they do contain maintenance updates for PHP 8.2+ and jQuery 3.6+ where needed. They also contain various small fixes, improvements or documentation adjustments. Pro modules not mentioned above will also receive updates in the coming week (or weeks). 

I thoroughly tested all of these modules with ProcessWire 3.0.227 before posting. But all of these versions are posted as "dev" or "development" versions. What does that mean? It means that that at the time it was uploaded, I was the only one using it so far, and thus they've only been tested thoroughly by me, today at least.

The term "dev" doesn't mean that the version isn't stable. In fact, often times the dev version may be more stable than the last posted non-dev version. (Kind of like how the core dev branch is often more stable than the master branch). The dev designation just means that I can't claim it to be the most stable version until it's been out for a little while longer, with more people testing it. If you see a dev version posted that has been out for several weeks, then you can usually consider that the current stable version. The exception would be if it also says "beta", or something else to indicate it's a testing version. 

Early this week the core master/main branch was also updated to version 3.0.227. This version contains fixes for bugs reported since 3.0.226 master/main was released. A 3.0.228 bump is also in the works for the core master/main branch. I'll likely be working on Pro module updates for another 1-2 weeks here, along with issue fixes to the core. As a result, the 3.0.228 version will likely be merged to the master/main branch in the next couple weeks as well. I figure we might as well keep updating the main/master branch with small fixes and such until we get into more major dev branch updates. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, ryan said:

Early this week the core master/main branch was also updated to version 3.0.227.

That's why Softaculous announced a new version in their installer.
Until this moment I thought they'd support the DEV versions now and was totally thrilled... but ok.

25 minutes ago, ryan said:

I figure we might as well keep updating the main/master branch with small fixes and such until we get into more major dev branch updates.

I'm totally for it. That signals ProcessWire is alive and well (see the Softaculous post above) and people can see it.
To be honest here: we all should push way more details about your and the overall work on and the features of ProcessWire to the outside world. But that's another topic for another day.

Have a great weekend, @ryan!

• Like 8

Speaking of Softaculous, the PW download page links to Bitnami and AMPSS, but Bitnami's apparently dropped support for PW (a broken integration connection somewhere?), and AMPSS, although likely still works since it's a desktop version of Softaculous, doesn't have a landing page for PW.

Super pumped to see an across-the-board update of the Pro modules. I commend Ryan's project management abilities. Fighting off scope creep and staying on-task is a very difficult thing to do (at least for me) when solo-developing, so many compliments to you on that!

• Like 5

• ryan changed the title to Weekly update – 15 September 2023 – Pro module updates