Page modified by guest

MarkE

I seem to have a few pages which show they have been modified recently by 'guest'. However, they appear to be unchanged and the related templates have set guest access to view only. I thought it might be something to do with page hit counters, but that seems not to be the cause. Some of the pages are only archives and are not directly accessible from the website (i.e. can't be retrieved by following links from the home page), so it seems a bit like a bot, but surely it should not mark the pages as modified? Any ideas?

• Like 1

Maybe you could try to check what was changed. There are two modules I used in the past to do so.
Install them in a test-environment to find out which works better in your case. 
For now I can't really recommend the one or the other.

https://processwire.com/modules/version-control/
https://processwire.com/modules/process-changelog/
both by @teppo

PageHitCounter had this issue in an early version... so page hits resolved in an update BUT... that was long ago. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bernhard said:

How did you archive them?

Maybe that was a slightly ambiguous wording, for brevity's sake. The detailed description is that some of the pages are events which are now in the past. These are no longer accessible via any links on the website, but the page url still works, which made me think that it might be some kind of web crawler accessing them.

22 hours ago, wbmnfktr said:

PageHitCounter had this issue in an early version... so page hits resolved in an update BUT... that was long ago. 

Running ProcessChangelog shows that it is connected with PageHitCounter, but is from a LazyCron hook I created which updates related fields, without specifying 'quiet' ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MarkE said:

LazyCron hook I created which updates related fields

This raises a question that I hadn't previously considered:
LazyCron is triggered by a guest action. In my use case, some resulting edits should be shown as edits (i.e. not 'quiet'), but showing the user as 'guest' is a bit misleading. So I put the following in my LazyCron hook:

/************
 * Batch run
 ************ */
/**
 * Batch run hooked by LazyCron:
 */
function batchRun(HookEvent $e) {
	$batchRunUser = (wire()->users->find("name=batchRun")->first()) ?: wire()->users->add('batchRun');
	wire()->users->setCurrentUser($batchRunUser);

This seems to do the trick. Is this practice OK, or might there be unwanted side-effects?

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/26/2023 at 12:22 AM, MarkE said:

I seem to have a few pages which show they have been modified recently by 'guest'. However, they appear to be unchanged and the related templates have set guest access to view only. I thought it might be something to do with page hit counters, but that seems not to be the cause. Some of the pages are only archives and are not directly accessible from the website (i.e. can't be retrieved by following links from the home page), so it seems a bit like a bot, but surely it should not mark the pages as modified? Any ideas?

Any update? The second link you shared worked for me very well, Since you have been helpful to me, I would like to return the favor. If you are a college student like me who despises essay writing, I have a helpful shortcut to share with you, I normally use is https://www.topessaywriting.org/ this website, So far, they have finished writing four essays for me and I did well in all of my exams and I'm really happy about it.

Any update?

• 8 months later...