Page move issue

Soma

In my theme I have changed CSS to show page actions when hovering the row. Now there seems to be a little issue with then I hit move when the page is not selected yet, I can't move the page. I then press cancel and hit move again and it works. It only works when the page is open but not when closed. I'm not sure why that is but found it surprising.

Move is the thing that has messed up my nice action button idea. 

The JS for it seems to be very path specific, so when I did my nice drop down with inevitable additional markup, it no longer knew where it was.

I must admit, it would be nice to just grab and move items in the same way as you can with template fields - lots quicker.

What I would love to do (but I cant work out how) is layout each item like so (going from left to right across the table row)

• Expand - a familiar Arrow
  • Title - Clicking on it goes straight to edit, if that is allowed
  • Actions Icon - Opens a little drop down for delete, publish/unpublish, new, copy, etc
  • Move - a move symbol. grab and move immediately rather than click and then move as a separate action

Personally I would split those so the action and move icons are to the far right of the row.

This takes into account the things people do most often while making additional options the same number of clicks as now.

Apart from speeding up some operations, That also compresses down better in small viewports.

I had the same issue on a tweeked admin & put it back to the default.

Same here. I couldn't figure out how to make it compatible with the move action. Spent a couple hours on it and than gave up. :) We'll eventually figure it out. 

I must admit, it would be nice to just grab and move items in the same way as you can with template fields - lots quicker.

Lots more dangerous too. :)

Dragging around the fields in a template has no effect on the front-end of a site. It's a totally safe action. Dragging around your pages can break external and internal links, hurt your SEO, or even worse, break your entire site. 

Move and delete actions are intentionally not as obvious as they would be in an actual file manager. At least, I don't want my clients performing these actions unless they really really mean it. Web sites aren't file systems. In web sites, stuff really shouldn't get moved or deleted very often (it's bad for business). In a file system, these actions are very common. But in a web site, they should be avoided. Though I understand that as developers, everything we do is intentional and we'd like it to behave like a file system for our convenience. But ultimately the admin panel is balanced towards both the client and the developer. The client will be the primary user long term, so feel it's a careful balance. To be honest, I was reluctant to even have a "move" action in the Page List, as it's a lot safer and more intentional to move stuff around using the Settings > Parent field on each page's settings tab. 

• Like 1

I didnt wanted to discuss how it should work, im with ryan here but it seems it breaks when i show actions in hover then click move while hovering. Because i cant give my clients a broken page move and i think other themes will have the same issue.

Hi Soma - can I test this somehow?

I am wondering whether it is the same issue that effected by actions button, because that also meant that when you selected "move" you hadn't actually selected the row first (which I hadn't thought about before).

Thanks for the PR Soma. If you solved this one, I owe you a beer (or a case of beer). :)

Thanks for the beer because it works. Took me only 5 minutes :-). I knew exactly in what behaviour it failed and I even painted in my head why this could be and it was exactly that and just a really minor change. Prosit!

• Like 2

Thanks for the beer because it works. Took me only 5 minutes :-). I knew exactly in what behaviour it failed and I even painted in my head why this could be and it was exactly that and just a really minor change. Prosit!

C'mon be honest and confess that it actually took you 6 minutes :lol::P

• Like 1