Problem installing Processwire

Crownofthorns

Sorry complete noob here. I am trying trying to install processwire on my webserver as I plan to build my website with it but am encountering a problem. In have uploaded and extracted the files and am now onto the installtion screen.

It's trying to install with this information which I gather is the default?

Database Host

localhost

Database Port

But I am getting these errors:

Access denied for user 'Databaseuserexample'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Database connection information did not work.

I am sure this is something simple that I am doing wrong... Is that the right database host and port? Or is thing something to do with permisions if so where do I change them? Thank you.

You haven't mentioned, so I will, that you need to create a mySQL database and a user of that database for PW to use. 

If you are using a WAMP, XAMP or LAMP setup, they often come with phpMyAdmin already installed, or if you are on a hosted server you might have cPanel, all of which allow you to create a db and a user.

Is that any help?

• Like 1

You haven't mentioned, so I will, that you need to create a mySQL database and a user of that database for PW to use. 

If you are using a WAMP, XAMP or LAMP setup, they often come with phpMyAdmin already installed, or if you are on a hosted server you might have cPanel, all of which allow you to create a db and a user.

Is that any help?

Oh, I thought that's what is was doing for me. :-[

Oh, I thought that's what is was doing for me. :-[

Don't worry about it. You need to create an empty db and a user. It's a security thing. Keep a note of the db name, the db user's name and password, enter them in the installation screen and you should be good to go.

• Like 1

Hi Crownofthorns

Depending on what your experience level is, you may want to try one of these tutorials (or both!)

http://wiki.processwire.com/index.php/Small_Project_Walkthrough

http://wiki.processwire.com/index.php/Basic_Website_Tutorial

The first is a really good introduction to the system, the second is more about getting you started.

• Like 2

Hi Crownofthorns

Depending on what your experience level is, you may want to try one of these tutorials (or both!)

http://wiki.processwire.com/index.php/Small_Project_Walkthrough

http://wiki.processwire.com/index.php/Basic_Website_Tutorial

The first is a really good introduction to the system, the second is more about getting you started.

Great, thanks I'll get reading right away.

As for theming is it just a case of adding lines of dynamic php to code a html file or is more much more advanced than that?

Oh, theming is... well, whatever you want.

Since there is no template engine as such, its a case of inventing your own way of doing it.

Just for fun, I knocked up the html and css for the basic website tutorial in an old copy of Dreamweaver - just to make the point.

You can use Bootstrap or any of the CSS frameworks out there, just as if you were building a static site. Just stick in the PW bits to add your content (okay, I over simplified that a little, but not by much!)

This is why PW is fun. You might have to learn some very, very basic PHP just to make sure you don't do anything idiotic (but you can learn it as you go by copying and pasting), but you don't have to learn a whole complicated template system, which is normally the really hard bit.

As long as you can write basic HTML and CSS, you have what you need.