Can you change a Repeater to ProFields Repeater Matrix without losing data?

DrQuincy

I have been using repeaters as a kind of modular page builder where I have a drop down (e.g. text, image, video) and then have been showing fields in the repeater based on the drop down selection.

I have noticed that ProFields Repeater Matrix seems to do this out of the box (and PageTable might've been a better choice as well!) so this will save me an awful lot of time long term.

I am partway through quite a complex site though and am wondering if I buy ProFields now and install it can I convert the repeaters to Repeater Matrix fields without losing any of the content I have already added?

Thanks!

P.S. I am a lone web developer but I do some white label work for agencies. Can I use the ProFields plugin as a single license when working for agencies? It would appear that I can do as many sites as I like for whomever I like so long as it is only me developing with it. I thought I'd check though.

3 hours ago, DrQuincy said:

I am partway through quite a complex site though and am wondering if I buy ProFields now and install it can I convert the repeaters to Repeater Matrix fields without losing any of the content I have already added?

I just did that and while I didn't exactly loose data it just didn't work as expected because Repeater Matrix misses the matrix field's actual type data. 

I'd rather go the way of using a migration script that you can run through CLI or using RockMigrations (this is probably the fastest way, since the API is very good) module and copy/transform data from the repeater field, to the new repeater matrix field. 

• Like 1

Another question on ProFields Repeater Matrix…

Can each matrix type have its own validation? So if I have “banner” and “list” content types, for example, and the banner has a mandatory image it will only be mandatory if “banner” is chosen and not “list”. Is that how it works?