PW 3.0.147 – Core updates and more

ryan

This week we’ve got version 3.0.147 out on the dev branch. Relative to version 3.0.146, most of the new commits (about 13 of them) are focused on resolving reports submitted at GitHub. I love refactoring existing code and adding optimizations and improvements to the core (and then writing about them in the blog). But right now I’m trying really hard not to! I’d like to have a new master version out before the new year, so the focus is on making sure the core is as absolutely stable as possible. Any time I refactor or add something new (or even sometimes when fixing something or another), there’s a chance of introducing new bugs, and it needs thorough testing on the dev branch, so right now the goal is that everything is thoroughly tested and stable before merging to the master branch. As a result, I’m trying to keep my hands off the core as much as possible, other than fixing obvious things that aren’t likely to introduce new code that needs testing. Please consider 3.0.147 release candidate 1 (RC1) for the next master. Thanks for all of your help and testing. Hopefully by (or before) 3.0.150, we’ll be ready for a merge to master. 

One way I try and take a break from modifying too much in the core before a master version release is to focus on other modules instead. That’s why last week I wrote about the new UserActivity module, and why next week I’ll be posting all the details for a new LoginRegisterPro module — one that I’ve been working on-and-off for more than a year, but have recently given it a lot of attention in getting it ready for release. 

I’ll save most of the details on LoginRegisterPro for next week, except to say that it provides an all-in-one solution for front-end login, account registration, profile editing and more. You might be wondering how that’s different from the LoginRegister module I built and released awhile back. That LoginRegister module was built for a very specific purpose and client, largely as a proof-of-concept. But there was a lot more interest in it than I ever expected, and several people suggested that there was a need that would be better served by the quality and support of a Pro module. The result is LoginRegisterPro, which is a full reimagining of that from the ground up. It does everything LoginRegister didn’t, in addition to everything it did. It goes much further in terms of security, reliability and customizability, and I look forward to telling you more about it. I may have it ready to release as soon as next week, but just wanted to make sure all the documentation was complete (and there is quite a lot of it so far). 

A couple other things I’m looking forward to working on here in the next month or so are the 2020 core roadmap and [finally] the new modules.processwire.com site. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend! 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

LoginRegisterPro sounds great. So I don't go out and duplicate anything, a task I've been thinking for a while of bundling up into a module is the ability on creation of a user with a given role, to create a page and subpages with a predefined template structure. Currently I do this via ready.php and it works fine, but I figured it would be convenient and flexible as a module.

(eg. Create login with role "customer", and then automatically create a page with template "customer" and sub-pages "customer-sales", "customer-support-requests", etc.. )

For a tree structure like for example:

Customers
-Customer 1
 -Customer Sales
 -Customer Support Requests
-Customer 2
 -Customer Sales
 -Customer Support Requests

Using this together with a module like AdminRestrictBranch makes it easy to let customers log in and manage their own content.

If LoginRegisterPro won't cover this kind of login creation scenario, and no one else has something similar, I'll go ahead and start building a module.

• Like 4