Ability to edit php templates in admin?

antknight

Hi @antknight, great to see a newer face on the forum so firstly: welcome!

As with most things PW, the answer is almost certainly "yes" but in this case you'd probably be compromising the permissions on your template & css files in order to do it. I know that some other CMSs do have this kind of feature though (like Textpattern, which I like a lot.)

Can I ask what your rationale for the request is? Do you need to develop on a live server or something? It might be that mounting the server partition locally over SSH would be both faster and more secure in such cases.

• Like 3

That's a pretty nice code editor there, thanks for the link. Will have to take a closer look. For the most part though, ProcessWire assumes you have your own tools for editing things like your templates and CSS files, and is trying to stay out of your way in that regard. There are also some security issues with enabling direct editing of PHP files on the server. Though I still think this is a good idea for a non-core module, to provide editing capability of template files for those that want it.

• Like 1

Would be nice to have a module for this! Because in school the FTP ports are closed ( ... -.- ) so I only can change the template of the website at home... And with this wordpress like template editor it would wasy to do this in school, too.