Users login to separate project areas?

aw.be

Hello. I just started reading through the info here. I'm a beginner at php but am comfortable with Wordpress and writing some easy custom code.

I have a client (construction) that I'm developing a site for - started out as a static site but it is expanding. They are thinking they might need a login for each of their clients so they can have running discussions about projects.

I think I could do this in Wordpress - but I don't want to do that. I'd like to develop it in Processwire.

Has anyone done anything like this? An initial idea I had was to have a client login area that would direct the client to their own protected sub-domain. Then I think it would be a simple matter of posting project updates and enabling comments on each page.

Doable with Processwire?

Thank you.

Aaron

• Like 1

This is totally something you could do with PW. Actually managing permissions can be pretty easy depending on how you want to set up your site.

Have you looked at this: http://processwire.com/api/user-access/

You have a lot of options. Sometimes I set permissions in the backend for different people to have access to edit different sections of the website... sometimes I create interfaces in the frontend that allow different groups to add/manage content.

I could help with some examples... need to know a bit more about your project. But IMO PW would be my first choice for this type of functionality.

• Like 2

What I would do is set up a page called Client Area or something like that, and then for each child page immediately below that use a Page fieldtype that allows you to select the user that can access that page. This way, in the Client Area page itself you can restrict it to only show pages for a specific logged-in user and stick the rest of their content under the relevant page.

I would have a custom login form on the Client Area page that then simply redirects them to the right child page on successful login. It would also have some logic so that they can't jus force their way into another user's content.

It does depend a bit on the structure you want to give for each user but the sky's the limit with ProcessWire.

I can't go into more detail as I'm typing this on my phone, but that is one option that would be relatively straightforward if someone else comes along and fills in some of the blanks (I'm sure someone will, they're good like that).

• Like 2

Thanks a ton. Makes me feel more confident in my choice to get into PW.

I'm meeting with the client today so will have a better idea of how this might fly after that.

I'll do some planning later and then post any questions here. Fabulous community here.

Joshua- I see you're in Calgary. I just moved from Edmonton to Vernon BC, last year.

Aaron