Need a bit of help

MUDIMOOG

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right spot but I am kind of a Newbie to Processwire and I am use to seeing more visuals of what is being done to the site like WordPress.  The company I work for the guy that maintained the PW site left and there is not much info on the site so I am trying to wrap my head around trying to figure out where everything is located in the Parent and Children folders cause I am not finding what should be a logical order hierarchy to all this. Also I am trying to make this AC compliant and have no clue how to add alternated text to anything?  Any tips or help would be great - I keep hearing everyone say this is way easier than WP or Drupal but I have yet seen this? ???

Hi, and welcome to ProcessWire!

ProcessWire uses a separation of concerns approach, where the backend is completely independent of the frontend. As such, the frontend is not considered a theme, as it is not integrated with the backend in any way (by default) -- this gives designers complete flexibility to define every aspect of their site. Each Page (be it in the root of the Page Tree, or a child Page) maps to a Template (Setup > Templates, and each Page-Template assignment can be found under the Page's Settings tab), which maps to a Template File (/path/to/site/templates/). Each Template defines what fields pages allocated to it will use. So a "Basic" Template could have "Title" and "Body", and any pages that use the "Basic" Template would have those fields.

In terms of a hierarchy, Pages can be moved to any location in the tree. When you move a Page, it simply changes the effective URL and physical location in the tree. It does not change how the Page itself is presented, as the Template and Template File would still be assigned.

Regarding alternative text, that would depend on how the template builds your page. If the image in question is set in the actual Page editor, then you would be able to change the alternative text there. If it is set explicitly in the Template File for that Page and associated Template, then you would need to change it directly in the Template File. So, for us to answer this question in more detail, we would need to know a little more about the site in question.

I've given a brief outline above, even though your question could do with a little more clarity. If I haven't covered something (perhaps more specific) that you need to know, please let me know.

Once you get the grip of ProcessWire, it's simply impossible to look back - WordPress looks very limited in comparison when you start to understand the power of ProcessWire.

:)

• Like 3