Forgot password module not working

JoshoB

For a client's website, I've installed the "Forgot password" module from core and set the email address to use as one from the website's domain name. 

However, it doesn't work, not when used from the backend (the login page), nor from the frontend. That's a bit of a pain to put it midly. I've written my own password recovery thing for another website, but would like to make use of the default password retrieval for this one. I figured it would work, but sadly no. Any idea what the problem could be, or where I should look to located the issue? 

7 minutes ago, Mike Rockett said:

Are you receiving any errors or is the email simply not going through? Checked the logs?

No errors at all. The email doesn't appear to be sent. I'm thinking it's probably some server error, but I can't find the logs. ProcessWire doesn't register a problem in the logs.

@JoshoB - I would recommend installing and configuring http://modules.processwire.com/modules/wire-mail-smtp/ so that all your emails will go out through SMTP, rather than PHP's mail()

I have no problems here on multiple sites with the forgot password module, so guessing it is an issue with your outgoing emails.

You could also install TracyDebugger and turn on the Mail panel which will intercept outgoing emails - this will let you know whether they are in fact being triggered for sending by PW which can help to narrow down where the problem might be.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, adrian said:

I would recommend installing and configuring http://modules.processwire.com/modules/wire-mail-smtp/ so that all your emails will go out through SMTP, rather than PHP's mail()

Yeah, I already had to use phpMailer because the client's server was flagging all incoming mail as spam. 

I've installed the module, but it's not working. I keep getting SMTP errors and have no clue how to fix this. 

Just now, adrian said:
2 minutes ago, JoshoB said:

It's a simple matter of reading about the required SMTP settings for your mail server.

Wish it were that simple!

The client's IT guy gave three pieces of information: SMTP server, port, and user; no password or authentication required. 

I've entered that data into the module and get the rather cryptic error: "it is not supported any of the authentication mechanisms required by the server". 

But no authentication methods have been specified by me in the module. 

1 minute ago, adrian said:

Then I would suggest contacting the IT guy for more details. Perhaps it's a simple matter of unchecking SSL or TLS or changing the port. He should know what is required.

Yes, but the settings worked fine with phpMailer. I'll try something else, and will roll my own module if necessary.

• 1 month later...