Basic search, is sort result by number of matches possible?

Webrocker

Hi,

is it possible to have the result of an "search" selector like this one

$matches = $pages->find('template=basic-page|journal__item|link__item,title|heading|subheading|excerpt|body%=' . $sq,limit=50);

ordered by the number of matches, so that the pages where the searched term was found more often will be the first in the listing?

(I don't think so, since the "%=......" looks for an occurance, and that's it, and since the fields are coupled with an "or", no info on how many times the searched term was found is available, right? -- but too often ProcessWire surprised me with its cleverness, so I thought I ask :-))

cheers,
Tom

• 3 weeks later...

It would be great if this kind of search would be possible (like in Joomla Search engines). Fe check first in headlines, second in introtext, third in body. Result order depending on the matches found in the fields. Matches in headlines are higher ranked than in introtext than in body field. Unfortunately I have also no idea how to realize such a search ranking. Maybe someone has found a working solution and will post it here. 

As far as I know a fulltext search with ~= or *= will return results by relevance/score that's built in mysql. But %= is wildcard like search not fulltext. I'm not sure that's by relevance in order of search fields. 

For far more powerful search that's also fast on very large scale can do fuzzy searches etc, one would have to consider using a tool like apache lucene or elastic search or alike.

• Like 1

@Juergen: At the cost of a couple of extra DB queries, you can use my new favourite tool Paginator: (thanks @LostKobrakai)

include 'src/Paginator.php';
include 'src/PagesPaginator.php';

$paginator = new PagesPaginator();

$result = $paginator(array(
	"headline~=$q",
	"introtext~=$q",
	"body|whatever~=$q"
), $input->pageNum, 25);

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Robin S said:

$result = $paginator(array( "headline~=$q", "introtext~=$q", "body|whatever~=$q" ), $input->pageNum, 25);

How can I disable some templates from the search? Is this the right way to exclude the template "profile" from the search results?

$result = $paginator(array("template!='profile'", "headline~=$q", "introtext~=$q", "body|whatever~=$q" ), $input->pageNum, 25);

Each item in the paginator array is a separate selector for a $pages->find() operation - the results are concatenated together for pagination. So just include or exclude templates for any selector in the array like you would normally for $pages->find($selector).

So for your example:

$result = $paginator(array(
	"headline~=$q, template!=profile",
	"introtext~=$q, template!=profile",
	"body|whatever~=$q, template!=profile"
), $input->pageNum, 25);

• Like 2

I have tried to include a repeater field called "downloadrepeater" with the included fields "downloadtitle" and "downloaddesc", but including these fields leads to an error:

Exception: Unknown Selector operator: '' -- was your selector value properly escaped?  (in /home/.sites/24/site1275/web/wire/core/Selectors.php line 307)

I have included these fields like that:

"downloadrepeater.downloadfieldtitle|downloadrepeater.downloadfiledesc~=$q"

After removing these fields from the search query everthing works fine again.

1 hour ago, Juergen said:

I have included these fields like that:

"downloadrepeater.downloadfieldtitle|downloadrepeater.downloadfiledesc~=$q"

That kind of syntax works fine for me. Try the same selector outside of Paginator to isolate where the problem lies.

Maybe the reason was that I have put the search fields into a string.

$downloadfields = "downloadrepeater.downloadfiledesc|downloadrepeater.downloadfieldtitle";

After that I have added this variable to the search tag and then I got the errors.

"$downloadfields~=$q"

Now I have added it manually to the search string and now everything works fine.

"downloadrepeater.downloadfiledesc|downloadrepeater.downloadfieldtitle~=$q"