Inputfield collapsed when set

Oliver

As I have been trying to optimize the input masks for page editing for a client a lot lately, I wondered, why there is - on setting up a new field - just an option to make its input field be shown collapsed when empty, but none to make it collapsed when a value is set.

The point is, that there are some kinds of page data that has to be set on creation of a new page (e.g. categories, publication date or author) and it's very unlikely this data will be changed later on very often - or at all - in contrary to other data of the page. So it would be a nice feature to be able to force these fields' inputfields to be expanded as long as they are empty and to show them collapsed as soon as a value has been saved. A kind of "do it once and forget" setting that keeps the input form clean and allows to guide the editor's attention.

I know the tab thing, but then the fields are out of sight and out of mind. I've been using the tabs e.g. for page specific SEO data. But often I want the editor to see the field right away when he edits the page for the first time.

I dont' think this would be a big deal. By that I mean to support it, it would just be the opposite of the one we got already. Though I could get confused when using both. But certainly something to consider.