minor bug

Frank Vèssia

I've noticed a strange behaviour when moving a page with children in another position. After this operation if a click on the page PW shows me the children twice, duplicated, click again and PW shows me the correct list until I refresh the page, then all return good.

I got two screenshots, my countries page shows me countries two times.

th.9ec1e6146c.jpg

th.6f9eb45ada.jpg

It's not a big problem but i think it's good to solve this little issue.

Ryan,

if it helps you, the bug is located somewhere in the expanding/collapsing JS methods.

pw-list-what-the-hell.png

Most of this happens, when you click really fast, so there is something like setting 'expanded' class (or whatever method you use) after AJAX response – or anything else, there is a little time between clicking and response time, where PW doesn't know you have asked to expand children, so makes another AJAX call, thus having two of them. (I suspect ;))

Edit: in case it's not obvious, the first 3 children is old HTML code from the moved child (the same three children below)

So far I can't seem to duplicate it. Tested in Safari 5.0.2 on OS X. Maybe I'm not catching it quick enough? I move the page with children, but it opens back up before I can even click on it again. Maybe I need to insert some javascript induced delays in there in order to reproduce. Or can you tell me if I'm doing it wrong?

The total count issue is a known issue (per Adam's report). It's a minor enough one that I thought I'd wait till I was working in the ProcessPageList.js with something else, and take care of it at the same time.

Jim, thanks for posting this video. This was helpful to see. I have no doubt there is a problem, but I'm running into trouble reproducing it here. 

I duplicated the exact steps from the video as best as I could (multiple times), but have yet to get a doubled list like shown in the screenshots/video. What am I missing? I've tried in Safari 5, Chrome 9 and Firefox 3.6. Is there some extra click that I need to do at the right time? Is this behavior exhibited every time you move a page with children, or is it only in some instances? I want to fix it today, but I just need to find a way to duplicate it. :)

Thanks,

Ryan

Sevarf2, Jimyost, Adamkiss,

I still haven't been able to reproduce this issue, but I did just make an update that may prevent it from happening in the first place. I modified ProcessPageList so that it doesn't "reopen" a page after moving it. This was done to improve the UI for when you have to move lots of pages. But after making the change, it occurred to me that this might actually eliminate the problem that was brought up in this thread.

The only problem is that I can't test it. :) If any of you have been able to duplicate this issue consistently, and wouldn't mind testing the latest commit when convenient, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know if it has solved the issue or not.

Thanks,

Ryan

Jim,

Thanks for posting that screencast.

I'm aware of this particular issue, just haven't figured out how to solve it.  I usually just move the item below the list, close the list, then move it above. I think this only happens in that specific location (right under the homepage), so it's probably an easy fix, I just need to track it down. This is one of those issues I run into every now and then, but forget about it. Now that I've got a video, I can't forget about it.  So hope to have this one fixed soon.

Do you have any more details on how to duplicate the other issue that initiated this thread? I still cannot duplicate it, and might need a more literal explanation of exactly what it takes to duplicate it. If for some reason I still can't duplicate it by April, you'll have to show me when we're up there for Hanna's birthday, and hopefully we can fix it then.

Thanks,

Ryan