Multi-Language pages suddenly stopped working

IkBenBen

Hi all,

I built a multi-langual Processwire (2.5.2) site 3 months ago and it was recently brought to my attention that the other languages for the homepage are not working anymore (showing a 404 not found). 

website.com <-- works

website.com/en/ <-- does not work

website.com/de/ <-- does not work

website.com/anypagehere/ <-- works

website.com/en/anypagehere/ <-- works

website.com/de/anypagehere/ <-- works

The problem is only on the homepage. If you go to any other page and select a different language from there it shows the right page (although when you click from another language on home, you're being redirected to the homepage in the default language with the default url: website.com/ ).

I haven't changed anything since I built the site.

I noticed that when I change the language under the homepage to anything but en or de, it works. For example website.com/en/ doesn't work, but website.com/e/ or website.com/sdksdssd/ does work (and shows the English translation).

The problem lies with the en and de names.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Hmm, have you checked the settings of your frontpage? Are the language paths set and active? Could it be the frontpage has a child by the name “en” that gets precedence over the language prefix and throws a 404 (for example, if there is no template file)?

edit: actually, nevermind. I tested this and it doesn’t fail the way you described. At least for me.

I had similar effects about a year ago. It wasn't clear what the problem was, but I had to put in some content in all language fields (content in my case). Perhaps, try to change/add content.

Is there anything inside your error log about the homepages?