User with "Administer users permissions" can not add users

Raymond Geerts

I have added a new role "manager" with the following permissions:

• View pages
  • Edit pages
  • Delete pages
  • Move pages (change parent)
  • Lock or unlock a page
  • Administer users (role must also have template edit access)
  • User can update profile/password

Still logged in as superuser i added a couple of test users with the roles "guest" and "manager".

When i login as one of the test users i can modify existing users (even those with "superuser", this is strange!)

But as soon as i want to add a new user by clicking the "Add New" button, fill in a unique name and click "Save". I get the following error message:

You don't have access to add pages with template 'user'

1) How can i let users with a certain role add new users without having to give them the "superuser" role.

2) Shouldnt "superuser" role only be available to add to a user account when the user itself has "superuser" rights?

Replying on my phone, so keeping it short. First, thanks for helping out.

Raymond, have you set the proper rights on the user template as well for the editor/manager role?

On the user template i tried that before, checking the edit and add boxes for the manager role, only that still gave the error that i cant add pages with the user role template

This should be fixed in the latest dev:
https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/issues/493

Ok, the version im using is about 2 weeks old, i saw on github many things happend since then so will sync the latest dev version and see it that fixes both issues.

A lot of things have been simplified in the latest dev. You no longer need to set any user template permissions at all. Simply giving the role "Administer Users" permission is enough. Here is Ryan's explanation:

I recognize this is a lot of extra configuration following the "user-admin" permission, and I'd rather that none of that is even necessary. So the latest dev commit updates it so that if the user has "user-admin" permission, then they can do all user administration and they don't have to have anything further permission-wise, in their role or on any templates.
  • Like 2

This is great, just updated to the 2.4.3 dev version and it all seems to work fine now.

Logging in with a test user account i can now add new users without any problem. And, as expected, i can not choose the superuser role, nor i can edit (and view) any accounts with superuser roles.

• Like 2