A personal thank you.

GuruMeditation

It's not often I'm impressed, so I only feel that it's right to express my appreciation to those behind the development of PW.

I've only been using PW since March this year, but it's been a joy to work with. I knew nothing about PHP beforehand, and now I'm able to achieve my goals without too much stress thanks to the excellent PW API.

For my current project, I'm jumping in at the deep end by creating an online community where my members will have a basic forum, comments system, gallery, private messages etc. At first I thought this would be an impossible task, but my custom comments system seems to be coming along nicely, all without any stressful programming. I'm fairly sure I'm doing a few things wrong, and I'm sure there are more efficient ways to deal with my problems, but that's what I love about PW, we can do it our way.

For my comments system (which I've started from scratch as a learning exercise) I simply wrote some template code to check for a sub-page called "comments" under the current page, article etc. If it's not there, it will be created when a comment is posted. This comment would then appear as a new page under the comments page, as would all the other comments. I'm not sure if this is a good way to go about it, but it works, and I can keep developing it to allow comment editing, quoting etc.

Anyway, thanks again. I look forward to see what the future holds for PW, but as it currently stands, it's exceptional.

• Like 21

Great to have you here Guru and I think you summed up perfectly why we all love ProcessWire - it's just an incredible tool that allows us to do what we want and in many different ways.

Your appreciation for what Ryan (and contributors) have created here will grow as you realise its true potential :)

• Like 8

After using pw for a while now, same experience here. In the beginning pw surprised me

how easy you can take your first steps with php. Then, only after making websites,

you're gonna find out how powerful the pw api is.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to Processwire. Sounds like you've dived in and are having a good play around. The fun thing with PW is there's never one particular way to do things, and you can use it as a framework and bend it to your will.

Looking forward to reading more from you.  Enjoy the journey

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies.

I decided to purchase the Form Builder. I'm not sure if I'll use it anytime soon, but I feel it's important to put a bit of money back into PW if we can manage it.

I think I'll have a look into creating a few functions soon to tidy up my code a bit. I've just spent the last few days reformatting my initial sloppy code. ^-^

But I'm still loving it. This is the longest time I've spent doing any kind of programming since Amiga E on the er, Amiga.

• Like 5