Why does $session->login() require $session->redirect()?

thetuningspoon

We're working on building a front end login form and the programmer I'm working with discovered that after the form is submitted and the post values are used to log the user in with $session->login(), $user->isLoggedin() still returns false until after the page is physically reloaded, changed, or $session->redirect() is used in the code. Maybe it's just late and I'm not thinking straight, but what is the reason for this?

The reason could be that, at the point when you use $session->login() (in your template-file ?) the variable $user already is populated. And it can't be changed automagically when you do a call to $session->login().

You may use something like:

$u = $session->login($username,$pass);  // try to login a user
    if($u) {                                // if login was successful $u holds a user object
        $user = $u;                         // repopuplate the $user variable with the new user
    }

// .. and then the rest of your code :
    if( $user->isLoggedIn() ) {
  • Like 2

My idea (And don't take my words for it) is:

The session needs to be re initialized and the credentials used must be set in order to generate other dependancies like the $user object.

I took a look in the method in the $session class and you can see that a cookie is generated and some other things are set.

Code for reference: https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/blob/03387f8283d518e9cc405eff8f05cd6a5bf77c4c/wire/core/Session.php#L257

public function ___login($name, $pass) {

if(!$this->allowLogin($name)) return null;

$name = $this->fuel('sanitizer')->username($name); 
		$user = $this->fuel('users')->get("name=$name"); 

if($user->id && $this->authenticate($user, $pass)) { 

$this->trackChange('login'); 
			session_regenerate_id(true);
			$this->set('_user_id', $user->id); 
			$this->set('_user_ts', time());

if($this->config->sessionChallenge) {
				// create new challenge
				$challenge = md5(mt_rand() . $this->get('_user_id') . microtime()); 
				$this->set('_user_challenge', $challenge); 
				// set challenge cookie to last 30 days (should be longer than any session would feasibly last)
				setcookie(session_name() . '_challenge', $challenge, time()+60*60*24*30, '/', null, false, true); 
			}

if($this->config->sessionFingerprint) {
				// remember a fingerprint that tracks the user's IP and user agent
				$this->set('_user_fingerprint', $this->getIP(true) . $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']); 
			}

$this->setFuel('user', $user); 
			$this->get('CSRF')->resetToken();

return $user; 
		}

return null; 
	}
  • Like 3

Both guys here are correct. The session needs to be regenerated with a new session ID and some new cookies need to be set, etc. Redirecting after successful login ensures you are dealing with the new and authenticated session and $user, ready to work with. 

• Like 3