Hello Processwire - new here

ADONIS

Hello,

I am new here in Processwire.

First of all, I want to wish to all of you to have a Happy New Year andf hopefully 2014 to find all of you full of hapiness and health.

Now, let me ask few questions.

1. There is no Greek language for Processwire so I would be glad to help for that but first I will have to learn how to use Processwire :rolleyes:

2. How easy is to make HTML template and modify it in Processwire? The reason I want to do that is to always have responsive websites.

3. CKEditor : I noticed there is a module for CKEditor but is it easy to use its full functionality? for example, let's say that I want to change a particular font color in the  body or in Headlines. Will that be easy? I noticed the CKEditor module is on stantard functionality and not on the full functionality so there are no font color buttons.

4. Althought I want to migrate all my websites from Wordpress (WP) to Processwire(PW) , I think I have to be patient and first learn Processwire than immediately start re-create  them   from WP into PW.

5. PHP : Althought I have some knowlwdge of PHP, I am better in HTML , will that be a problem for me in Processwire?

6. I tried Processwire for first time yesterday on XAMPP and I found out that  there is a learning curve which is ok  but as I said before I would like to ask you to tell me what is the BEST way for someone new to learn Processwire. I tried it for first time yesterday and I felt quite stuck .

7. Last but not least, I would like to CONGRATULATE the founder( Rayan ) of Processwire, he made  the Rolls - Royce of the CMS.

Happy New Year to all of you.

Hello there and welcome to the forum!

A few quick answers and/or comments:

1. Awesome. Feel free to contribute any time you want :)

2. ProcessWire doesn't produce markup per se, so you can create whatever markup you wish and, for an example, use any layout / CSS framework you prefer. You simply create your templates as pure HTML (though within PHP files) and then ask ProcessWire to pull in content from current page to whatever location you want, with simple PHP syntax like <?php echo $page->body ?>.

3. CKEditor module is very configurable. Install it, see field settings and you'll find out just how far it can go. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. Personally I prefer to control stuff like font colors via style sheets so the site doesn't end up looking like something a drunken unicorn left behind, but I get that this might in some instances be necessary.

4. Sounds reasonable. No need to start from the deep end.

5. Most likely no. Again, you won't need to start with complex stuff, simply echoing out content takes you long way already. I wrote a blog post some time ago comparing PHP templating to Twig (and explaining the basics), so you might want to check that one out here if you're more familiar with other templating engines.

6. Some people prefer tutorials, others start with the documentation, personally I started learning with a real project (by the end of which I had pretty much grasped all the basic concepts of PW.) It's your choice really, but whatever route you take there's a lot of material available already. Again; ask and you shall receive (pointers for where to look, that is)  :)

• Like 3

(Note: Teppo typed faster than me, so I am repeating some bits here)

HI Adonis

And Happy New Year back at you!

Okay, let me answer the bits I can.

First, template.

Basically, ProcessWire does not have a templating system of any sort, so you do not have to learn anything.

In the /site/templates/ directory, anything with a php extension is regarded as a template.

So, if you create a file called myfile.php in that directory, you can then go to Setup > Templates in the admin and add it as a template. (Click New Template and you will see it listed.)

You can then create a new page using that template. Obviously, as it is has no mark up in it, nothing will actually get displayed, but it is a start.

To use it more fully, you just need to write HTML in it (as you would a stand alone html page) and then add a bit of processwire php markup to output the fields. For instance, the Title field would have automatically been added when you added the new template in the admin so to out put it you could put in your html, for instance:

<h1><?php echo $page->title; ?></h1>

The main thing is to understand the difference between a template and a template file

Template: A processwire object that associates a group of fields together

Template File: The file where you put any markup and/or logic for outputting those same fields.

You should go and do this over the top tutorial and it will all become clear!

http://wiki.processwire.com/index.php/Basic_Website_Tutorial

CK Editor

Since this is an add-on module, you can do pretty much as you like with it. However, there are a couple of plugins added to it (for images and links) that are customised for processwire that need to be left intact.

PHP Knowledge

I have very little php knowledge, but PW has proved a really good way of learning the basics! So my knowledge has increased using it.

Make sure you learn about the basics of using echo and how to do a foreach loop. (plenty of examples in this very forum) And then read the API, especially the cheat sheet. 

That will do you for now - go play!

• Like 2

Congratulations, you found a diamond in a cms heap. You will find that out your self the more you work with it.

2. How easy is to make HTML template and modify it in Processwire? The reason I want to do that is to always have responsive websites.

You can modify it in any way you want with the API of processwire. You can use any css framework to make responsive websites, like cube, foundation, etc.

3. CKEditor : I noticed there is a module for CKEditor but is it easy to use its full functionality? for example, let's say that I want to change a particular font color in the  body or in Headlines.

PW comes with tinymce. You can already do all the things you need with that. You can activate extra functions in tinymce inside the PW configuration like: fontsize, fonttype, fontcolor, background color, charmap, etc. etc

But using css for that is preferred to keep your design clean and portable.

5. PHP : Althought I have some knowlwdge of PHP, I am better in HTML , will that be a problem for me in Processwire?

Study the API of processwire, you are going to need that first. Then learn basic php things like foreach, do-while that you are going to need together with the API.

6. I tried Processwire for first time yesterday on XAMPP and I found out that  there is a learning curve

The learning curve is only to become familiar with how pw works. PW works different from other cms'es because pw has no cms rules, no cms walls. PW adapts to the designer and coder, not the other way around like almost all other cms'es out there. Go through the PW tutorials until you get that "aha that's how pw works" moment and then you can go on for your self, you don't want to stop anymore also because pw is that addictive ^_^

http://processwire.com/talk/topic/4173-grouped-forum-posts-links-articles-tutorials-code-snippets/

• Like 2

You should go and do this over the top tutorial and it will all become clear!

http://wiki.processwire.com/index.php/Basic_Website_Tutorial

I tried this yesterday and I enjoy it, is a very good tutorial, congrats

Congratulations, you found a diamond in a cms heap. You will find that out your self the more you work with it.

You can modify it in any way you want with the API of processwire. You can use any css framework to make responsive websites, like cube, foundation, etc.

PW comes with tinymce. You can already do all the things you need with that. You can activate extra functions in tinymce inside the PW configuration like: fontsize, fonttype, fontcolor, background color, charmap, etc. etc

But using css for that is preferred to keep your design clean and portable.

Study the API of processwire, you are going to need that first. Then learn basic php things like foreach, do-while that you are going to need together with the API.

The learning curve is only to become familiar with how pw works. PW works different from other cms'es because pw has no cms rules, no cms walls. PW adapts to the designer and coder, not the other way around like almost all other cms'es out there. Go through the PW tutorials until you get that "aha that's how pw works" moment and then you can go on for your self, you don't want to stop anymore also because pw is that addictive ^_^

http://processwire.com/talk/topic/4173-grouped-forum-posts-links-articles-tutorials-code-snippets/

Thank you for your reply