markUp cache performance

Frank Vèssia

I'm running a website with thousand of photos. Each photo can be commented, receiving Likes and Favs. I display likes and favs pretty much like 500px.com with 2 lists of the users. I started caching these lists and of course now i have thousands of folders for the cache. Can i have some problems in the future with that?
It's ok to using cache for part of massive contents like photos/videos/products or it's better to use cache only for single common content ?

It all depends on your server hardware and the filesystem that is running. There's no problem having thousands of folders. Ext4 can handle 64'000 subfolders but I'm sure this limit does not exist, because I have a site running with more pages and folders too.

• Like 2

It does kind of depend on how many users we're talking about here too. I would not be so enthusiastic about creating caches on a per-user basis, and more likely to focus any caching efforts on common content, that's the same for all users. But if it makes a major difference in performance, then the tradeoffs might be worthwhile, but still something to be cautious with.