Admin login sends me back to site

vknt

- goto mysite.com/processwire

- fill in username and pass

- login, but redirects me back to homepage of the site: I can't get to the backend

My .htaccess is working fine I think, it redirects to all pages and give me a custom 404 error page

I really dig the approach PW takes for the cms structure. So I really want to test this out :)

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Strange, I've not heard of this before. But can you check these things:

Make sure there isn't actually a directory called /ProcessWire/ (leftover from the zip). If there is, delete it.

Try doing the login page with a trailing slash, I.e /processwire/ rather than /processwire.

Try a fresh install, just in case. If none of these do it, can you post what PHP ver and your phpinfo result if possible.

Thanks

Did a reinstall. Had some errors, see end of this post.

I had all green lights during install.

Permissions for config.php and site/assets are on 766

You can try it yourself

http://vknt.be/pw/processwire

user:admin pass:admin

For php info: http://vknt.be/pw/info.php

If you need anything else, let me know..

// This is the errors that appeared during last step of install. Although all point appeared green.

3. Test Database and Save Configuration

Database connection successful to v5434vkn_processwire

Saved database configuration to ./site/config.php

Imported: ./site/install/install.sql

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 56

Error creating directory: ./site/assets/cache/

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 56

Error creating directory: ./site/assets/logs/

Error creating directory: ./site/assets/sessions/

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/marquis_interior3.232x176.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 306

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/westin_interior1.232x176.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 306

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/hyatt_interior9.0x100.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/westin_interior2.232x176.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/westin_interior1.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/westin_interior2.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/hyatt_interior11.232x176.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/marquis_interior3.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/marquis_interior7b.0x100.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/hyatt_interior9.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/westin_interior1.0x100.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/marquis_interior7b.232x176.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/marquis_interior13b_med.0x100.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/marquis_interior13b_med.232x176.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/hyatt_interior11.0x100.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/hyatt2.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/hyatt2.232x176.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/hyatt_interior9.232x176.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/marquis_interior7b.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/marquis_interior3.0x100.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/hyatt_interior11.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/westin_interior2.0x100.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/marquis_interior13b_med.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Warning: copy(./site/assets/files/1/hyatt2.0x100.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/v5434vkn/public_html/pw/install.php on line 305

Imported: ./site/install/files => ./site/assets/files/

Adam is right on this. The fact that the installer is finding that the directories are writable, but mkdir() and chmod() are failing indicates something must be disabled. But the way around this is to create the directories and make them writable yourself. Let us know if you need help identifying the directories to create and/or how to make them writable.

Thanks,

Ryan

Okay i think the problem might be the 766 permission. Most likely Apache is running on a different account than yours. 766 will be fine for config.php, but I would suggest changing /site/assets/ to 777, because it sounds like PHP requires "x" in addition to "rw" in order to be able to mkdir().

I think I have an answer for you:

set permissions for ./site/ to 766 too!

Having this dir tree:

processwire
/ site : 444 (dr--r--r--)
  / assets : 766 (drwxrw-rw-)

If /site/ is set to 444 only, it might not let you create files in subdirectories (based on your Apache/PHP settings). So you might want to check out it's permissions too and preferably set it to 766 or 777 too.

Edit: If PHP running script has the same GUID as apache, the user part (the first one) is crucial (there must not be 4). If not (some hosts do not have the same GUID for apache and PHP scripts running on it), the rest is important too :)

There's definitely something wrong with the server. Last time I reinstalled I didn't get past the 2nd install screen, telling me to rename site-default to site. Which I did off course.

So I contacting my provider and let you know.

They contacted me back that it was just a permissions problem. So i set /site, /site/assets and site/config.php to 777 and it all works now.

I thought that settting folders and files to 777 was a security risk, that's why I didn't try it before.

Thanks for the help ryan and adam! I'm off trying the whole cms now :)

777 can be a security risk on a shared hosting environment, especially if they aren't jailing accounts from one another. 755 would certainly be preferable if it worked. Many hosts will run Apache as your user account, in which case 755 will be just fine. If you are in a shared hosting environment that isn't particularly secure, you may want to just limit write access to your account and whatever account apache runs on. That won't necessarily keep out PHP running on other people's accounts, but it's better than global rwx. However, nearly all the shared hosting accounts of worked with lately have been pretty well jailed from each other, making these considerations not as much of an issue.  But the number of hosts I work with are also fairly limited, so this may not be a universal statement.