SearchMark: search within the contents of your bookmarks

kongondo

Maybe I am late to the party but I've just discovered this little gem called SearchMark (github link). It's an open source chrome extension that does what historious does. It searches not only you bookmark titles and urls but their contents! I decided to Google for something like this since I have bookmarked lots of PW forum threads! There are times I know I have read something and I have it bookmarked but I just can't find it. I usually resort to Google to search for it again, which isn't the best use of my time :). When I was on FF I used scrapbook for similar tasks but that would mean downloading a part of (or a whole) site then searching through the contents. It wasn't dynamic either - I would be searching through old content. But now, with SearchMark, I can "Google" the contents of my bookmarks. It works just like a Google search with wild cards and all! Results are returned with your search terms highlighted

After installation, the extension will download and index all your bookmarked pages. At anytime, click on the SearchMark icon in the toolbar to open and use the search page. Later, every time you add, remove, or change a bookmark the index will get updated and so will your search.

I tested SearchMark using this forum thread and was very pleased by its speed and accuracy:

I searched the following (on the first post on that thread)

// $field->children() - returns that thread + other threads with those search terms

"// $field->children()"  -  returns only that thread

// $field->children() -ideasreturns other threads except the above since it contains the word ideas

// $field->children() +ideas - returns the above thread plus others with the search terms plus word ideas

Now if I could limit it to only search my PW bookmark folder....//Edit: Of course I can add this +processwire.com to my search terms, duh!

Hopefully someone finds this useful.

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 2