Automatic update of alt tag for image embedded in RTE

adrian

I think it would be useful if changes to an image's description field automatically propagated to the alt tag when embedded in an RTE textarea. At the moment you need to select the image, click the select image button and then "insert this image". This will force the ALT tag to update, but I think it would be good if this step wasn't necessary. I don't think there are any negatives to this, but maybe I haven't thought it through.

Also (and I think this has been brought up before), I think we need a title field for images.

Thanks  

Title would be nice, agreed. About the alt text I'm not so sure.

First of all, you'd have to take into account that an image used within text content and an image in image field are practically speaking two separate entities. Currently you can use same image over and over again with different alt texts, depending on context -- and that's good thing.

From technical point of view image field doesn't know where it's content is / can be used, so you'd have to keep up with that data somehow. This is actually something that Image Manager (to certain extent, ie. when using special image embed tags and after specifying related fields) already does.

Extending similar features to regular image tags created by TinyMCE / CKEditor isn't necessarily worth the trouble. At least not as a native feature, that is :)

All good points Teppo. I knew I shouldn't have posted late at night :)

I am using the description field to automatically generate captions. Title is obviously a much more appropriate option for this, but either way it would be nice to have a simpler way to do this. But you are right - not appropriate for storing with the image itself due to the possibility of using the image in multiple places/contexts.