Two levels of group permissions possible?

JusticeParty

Hello,

Not long ago I asked about the ability of using ProcessWire to run the national website of a political party. (See http://processwire.com/talk/topic/2529-replacing-nation-builder-with-processwire-for-justice-party-political-party/)

I now have an additional question related to member/user/staff permission.

Our staff will need permissions based on two factors:

1) Location

2) Role in party

Most CMS have group permissions so I could do (1) or (2) but not both.

Let me give an example.

Location will be based on each state. So we need 50 (51) of them.

Role in the party will be something like...

1) Supporter

2) Member

3) Town Staff

4) District Staff

5) State Staff

6) Regional Staff

7) National Staff

I might want to break it down further but that is the jist.

In ProcessWire Admin section, we want the ability for staff to be able to do the normal CRUD functions on people that register.

We will also create custom reports. For example reports that list users by street name. Reports that print out all users telephone numbers. For location, we want to limit a staff's access to only registered users that are in their own town, state, region AND below.

So, if I am town staff of Norwich, CT and login. The only users I would see in ProcessWire would be users from Norwich, CT. If I were the district manager, I would see everyone in Norwich as well as all users from within my district. If I were state staff, I would see everyone in my state. And so on.

For the above, I would just limit reports based on group level (staff level)? How about the location?

Anyhow, I just need to know if I will be able to limit access and displaying or reports, etc in the backend of ProcessWire as I am thinking. I'm a bad PHP coder (former EE users) so I am worried this might overwhelm me. lol

Thanks!

Carlos

What you are describing sounds very much like a custom application. It also sounds a lot more like a CRM than CMS. You could certainly do it in ProcessWire, but you are going to be in for some custom coding no matter what system you build it in. Whether using ProcessWire or another system, I recommend that you hire an expert to build this for you. Also, since everything you've mentioned is more specific to a CRM, I also recommend evaluating software like Salesforce for your needs. You can easily send data submitted from a website into into Salesforce using their web-to-lead forms. ProcessWire Form Builder can also submit data to Salesforce (and other services) natively.