Activitypub × Processwire

rooofl

This is a very uninterested question, as I am just curious about this topic.

Is there any dynamic towards a possible integration of Activitypub with Processwire? Would it be possible to create sites and app with PW that can interact with the fediverse? This could be a plugin able to federate with the network (just like this wp plugin does), or maybe a deeper integration (retrieve specific content from other federations…).

I am personally using Mastodon and Peertube a lot since 5+ years and I think this is a great part of what remains of the cool Internet. I also feel an important technical gap between building website and creating federated apps, maybe for a good reason! I am interested to know your thoughts,

This is something I have had on my “things I’d like to do” list for a while now...

I left Twitter some years ago and wanted to switch to Mastodon, but after learning how this is based on a (supposedly) web standard I wanted to have a look and try to implement my own thing, based on PW of course. I do feel as well that there is a gap and I would love it if it could be as simple as installing a module. From what I’m seeing the wordpress plugin does it really well and would definitely be an inspiration of mine.

I also feel this could be a great addition to artists/designers/photographers’ website as a way to share their work, an alternative to Instagram potentially (but not as literally as Pixelfed does though).

The closest I’ve seen here regarding this is the webmention module (thread) by @gRegor.

Have the federated protocols finally stabilized with a clear front-running winner? For a time there were competing protocols that various community software products were using, claiming their option(s) were better suited for various scenarios. One particular complaint over ActivityPub was server cost related to the bandwidth use of the protocol. I tried to quickly find a singular article that discussed the competing protocols but unfortunately was unable. I think the best source I found was a hackernews discussion thread, and/or Reddit, but Google's results was full of various Reddit discussions, none of which were what I had read in the past. (Seems newer conversations are comparing Mastodon, specifically, against ActivityPub.)

17 hours ago, BrendonKoz said:

Have the federated protocols finally stabilized with a clear front-running winner?

Do you remember which ones you read about?

One particular complaint over ActivityPub was server cost related to the bandwidth use of the protocol.

I don’t know how well it scales, but this is something that makes it interesting to have a PW module (same way there is a WP one): it would allow users to have a simple and manageable instance with one (or potentially more) users, on a shared hosting. But I did read some issues about how Mastodon is agressively sending requests to websites when they are referenced in a toot, especially if said toot is shared on a big instance (read https://www.jwz.org/blog/2022/11/mastodon-stampede/), I don’t know though if this changed in the meantime.

(Seems newer conversations are comparing Mastodon, specifically, against ActivityPub.)

I read that as well. Apparently ActivityPub is quite “loosely” spec’d so there’s a lot of parts that can be interpreted differently. And since Mastodon is (one of) the biggest player, their way of doing became a de-facto standard (others had to implement the Mastodon-way to be able to interact with the bigger network).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, monollonom said:

Do you remember which ones you read about?

Unfortunately no. I wish I could have. I was trying (quickly) to find the article I had seen that covered the 4-5 different protocols that aimed to solve a similar goal. I was unsuccessful. It was well over a year ago, so I don't remember the names of the protocols (or the product[s] that were using them).

I think one of them was Matrix, and maybe the other was BlueSky's AT...and then forks of those.