foreach ($pages as $page) {

// Here I get 23 properites
	$foo1 = $page->property1;
    $foo2 = $page->property2;
	// ...
    $foo22 = $page->property22;
    $foo23 = $page->property23;

}

If I only get 1 property is takes about 0.02s. But if I get all 23 it goes up to ~5s on a decent Linux server. The number of properties retreived proportionately increases the execution time so there isn't any one property that is a bottleneck.

Is this to be expected? 330 pages is not exactly a lot.

I know the API has a $cache variable but the above pages are linked to a search form so it could prove tricky (although I could cache the initial form where no filters are applied).

Is there anything I can do to increase the speed? I guess I could store all properties as JSON in an additional field and just retreive that. It just seems unreasonably slow to deal with that kind of execution time on a few hundred records.

Thanks.

EDIT: Just seen that the Autojoin option might do the trick.

Hard to know exactly what to suggest as many different scenarios could affect responsiveness. (Re-?)Rendering images could easily slow things down, as could page reference properties that aren't loaded until called/necessary. Depending on your setup, using findRaw() or findMany() might have a positive impact, as would your autojoin; if you think an autojoin might only be necessary for your one scenario, you could look into findJoin() and whether it accomplishes the same end-result on that page.

For a ProcessWire (Pro) module assist, there's always ProfilerPro, as well.

• Like 5

When I need to load a fair amount of data I do custom MySQL queries. findRaw() is very fast too but I don't like to parse its results.
Just be careful to sanitize data where needed (all texts at least).

The downside is that it takes much more development time. But I become better in MySQL stuff. 😁

Edited by da²
  • Like 2