j-w

issues bootstrapping from script

For a worker process I need to bootstrap ProcessWire. Unfortunately somewhere in the bootstrap process the script simply exits, and I'm having problems identifying where and why.

Debugging a bit I found out that somewhere during the following call in the bootstrap index.php the script is exited:

echo $process->execute($config->internal);

Doing a debug_backtrace in the registered shutdown function gives me only a hint to ProcessWire\{closure}
Unfortunately with all php error logging on and $config->debug = Config::debugVerbose; I dont' get any more information as to why the script exits. Also tracy logs don't show anything.

I already investigated if there are any culprits among the hooks but can't find anything suspicious.

The script looks as follows:

#!/usr/bin/php
<?php namespace ProcessWire;
	echo "this is reached!";
	include("../www/index.php"); //bootstrap ProcessWire
	echo "this is never reached!";

Maybe a bit OT: with which php version is the script processed, and which set of modules are enabled for the php processor? Is it the same version the webserver is running on? 

It's PHP 7.4.3 with Litespeed 7.6 and Zend Engine 3.4.0 (ionCube 10.4.0, OPcache 7.4.8), running ProcessWire 3.0.165. It's the same version as for the webserver.