Split website structure?

MarkE

19 minutes ago, MarkE said:

$config->setPath('templates', $rootPath . '/templates/');

I had missed this bit. I am not sure I want to go down this route (unknown side effects, etc). I could probably make getDefaultPath() hookable, then devs can implement on their own.

3 hours ago, MarkE said:

There may be a better way of getting the root path without having to do the preg_replace, but I can't see one at the moment.

$config->paths->site;

I'll have a think.

Edited by kongondo

5 minutes ago, kongondo said:

I could probably make getDefaultPath() hookable, then devs can implement on their own.

You would need to add $page as a parameter to make it usable in the way I describe.

6 minutes ago, kongondo said:

$config->paths->site;

That always returns site 2, so no use. It needs to be something that takes $page as its reference point.

4 minutes ago, MarkE said:

That always returns site 2, so no use.

Are you saying

$site1 = new ProcessWire('/path/to/www/');
//$site1 = new ProcessWire('/path/to/www/', 'http://domain.com/'); 
$site1SiteFolder = $site1->config->paths->site; 
echo $site1SiteFolder;// returns "root/some/path/site-2/" ???

If that's the case, that's strange or a bug maybe.

55 minutes ago, kongondo said:

Are you using multi-instance this way?

While optional, we also recommend providing the URL to the installation as the second argument (preferably including the scheme and hostname). That way if you make any $page->url() or $page->httpUrl() calls, it will know where to point them to:

$site = new ProcessWire('/path/to/www/', 'http://domain.com/'); 

i.e., including the domain parameter?

Did you see this question I asked previously? I mean the domain parameter. Are you including that?

Edited by kongondo

19 minutes ago, kongondo said:

Are you saying

$site1 = new ProcessWire('/path/to/www/');
//$site1 = new ProcessWire('/path/to/www/', 'http://domain.com/'); 
$site1SiteFolder = $site1->config->paths->site; 
echo $site1SiteFolder;// returns "root/some/path/site-2/" ???

No. I can't use $site->config->paths->site inside your module, just $config->paths->site. But if I hooked it there would be more flexibility.

20 minutes ago, kongondo said:

Did you see this question I asked previously? I mean the domain parameter. Are you including that?

Sorry, I missed that. I did originally add the domain parameter, but I got an "overloaded" error message, so I removed it.

Here's the code:

$config->admin_site = new ProcessWire($config->paths->root . 'site/');

Using $config means it's available everywhere in site 2 (which is actually called site-web).

Here's what I have:

public function getDefaultPath($defaultPath, $page, $mode=1) {
	    bd($page, 'page');
		$config = $this->wire('config');
		if ($mode == 2) {
            $rootUrl = preg_replace('/assets.*/m','',$page->filesUrl());
            $config->setUrl('templates_RM', $rootUrl . 'templates/');
            $config->setUrl('siteModules_RM', $rootUrl . 'modules/');
            $root = $config->urls;
        } else {
            $rootPath = preg_replace('/assets.*/m', '', $page->filesPath());
            $config->setPath('templates_RM', $rootPath . 'templates/');
            $config->setPath('siteModules_RM', $rootPath . 'modules/');
            $root = $config->paths;
        }
		if(2 === (int) $defaultPath) $defaultPath =  $root->siteModules_RM;// /site/modules/
		else $defaultPath =  $root->templates_RM;// /site/templates/
		return $defaultPath;
	}

Hi @MarkE,

I got this to work in a multi-instance environment by making the following change (no hooks needed, no new parameters or options). 

In FieldtypeRuntimeMarkup line #500 (in the method runtimePHPFile()):

Change this:

// render PHP file(s) with different name and/or more than 1
else {
    // $filenames is a csv string: convert to array
    $filenames = explode(',', str_replace(' ', '', $field->renderPHPFile));
    foreach ($filenames as $filename) $out .= $files->render($filename, $vars, $options);
}

To this:

// render PHP file(s) with different name and/or more than 1
else {
    if(2 === (int) $field->defaultPath) $defaultPath =  $config->paths->siteModules;// /site/modules/
    else $defaultPath =  $config->paths->templates;// /site/templates/
    // $filenames is a csv string: convert to array
    $filenames = explode(',', str_replace(' ', '', $field->renderPHPFile));
    foreach ($filenames as $filename) {
        $filename = "{$defaultPath}{$filename}";
        $out .= $files->render($filename, $vars, $options);
    }
}

And bob's your uncle!

This was test my setup.

Site 1 (your App)

• RM installed
  • RM used with Render PHP file(s) option
  • Rendered file lives in scripts/some-folder/script.php
  • Multi-lingual site
  • RM renders in pages OK.

Site 2 (your Web/Properties)

• RM module NOT INSTALLED 
  • Instances Site 1 like below in some template file
  • RM output from Site 1 displayed in Site 2 frontend
// both of these work without errors
// $parentSite = new ProcessWire($pathToParentSite);
$parentSite = new ProcessWire($pathToParentSite,"http://site1domain.tld/");

$content = "<h3>RM Field from Parent</h3>";
  $parentPagesWithRMField = $parentSite->pages->find("parent=1234,sort=created, limit=3");
  foreach($parentPagesWithRMField as $item) {
    $content .= "
      <p>
        <a href='$item->httpUrl'>$item->title</a><br />
        $item->rm_field
        <hr>
      </p>
      ";
  }

Now it is interesting that:

• In the method runtimePHPFile(), $config correctly points to the correct PW instance (if you bd() inside the method and view Site 1 versus Site 2, you'll see the path in both cases point to Site 1)
  • In getDefaultPath(), $config always points to the present site (i.e. If you bd($defaultPath) and check in the page with the RM field in Site 1, it points to Site 1. If you check in the frontend of Site 2 [where we instance Site 1], it points to Site 2). Note, getDefaultPath() is in an included class in the module file (FieldtypeRuntimeMarkup.module).

This is the reason why RM was not working correctly. We were passing $files->render(/a/relative/path/). In addition, the defaultPath we were passing in its options came from getDefaultPath() which always points inward. Hence, $files was looking inward (Site 2, in our case). When we prepend $config, we are passing $files an absolute path, hence it works.

Anyway, I hope this works for you. Obviously the CSS and JS won't carry over. You'd need to sort that out. It is easy call them from Site 1 to Site 2 if you need to, so you don't duplicate code.

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 1

Many thanks for that @kongondo

15 minutes ago, kongondo said:

RM module NOT INSTALLED 

Any reason for that? I need it on both sites (a really useful module ? ). A quick test seems to indicate that it works OK if installed on one or both sites, but I will investigate more. As you say, my css isn't working properly after this but hopefully I can fix that. I'll spend some time with it and let you know of any issues. Thanks again!

8 hours ago, MarkE said:

Any reason for that?

I didn't need it on Site 2 and also wanted to test if it would work without it in Site 2. However, the multi-instance docs suggest installed modules should mirror each other.

8 hours ago, MarkE said:

my css isn't working properly after this

My CSS works properly in Site 1. RM adds CSS using $config->styles() in the inputfield context. In Site 2, there is no inputfield context as we are pulling data from Site 1 using a template file.

I fixed the css and it all works. I'm getting PHP notice from Tracy:

PHP Notice: Object of class ProcessWire\DefaultPage could not be converted to int in ...\FieldtypeRuntimeMarkup.module:536

That line is $root = $mode == 2... in

public function getDefaultPath($defaultPath, $mode=1) {
		$root = $mode == 2 ? $config->urls : $config->paths;
		if(2 === (int) $defaultPath) $defaultPath =  $root->siteModules;// /site/modules/
		else $defaultPath =  $root->templates;// /site/templates/
		return $defaultPath;
	}

Doing a bd(), it would seem that $mode is the host page for the RM field, not an integer! Not causing a problem in my case, since $root = $config->paths is OK, but odd. I wasn't getting this error with the previous version (or my hacked copy).

20 minutes ago, kongondo said:

How, please?

Sorry, the answer to that is a bit complicated. I am not using the RM module to refer to the css file. It is linked in the PHP script. This detects whether the host site (site 2) is on a permitted list stored in the availability page in site 1 which contains the RM field. There are two such lists - one for non-PW sites and one for PW sites. The script grants the permissions required for it to access the templates/fields it needs and also passes the css as an in-line style. So I just had to make sure that the path was correct for the css (and js) like this:

} elseif (in_array($headers['Host'], $permittedPW)) {
    $currentPath = $files->currentPath();
    $calendarUser = $config->admin_site->users->get("name=calendar");  // calendar has role that only allows access to the availability page
    $config->admin_site->users->setCurrentUser($calendarUser);
    $cssText = file_get_contents($currentPath . 'styles/Availability.less.css');
    if ($cssText) {
        $out .= '<style>' . $cssText . '</style>';
    }
    $js = file_get_contents($currentPath . 'scripts/Availability.js');
    if ($js) {
        $out .= '<script>' . $js . '</script>';
    }
} else {

Maybe a bit hacky - but works ? 

29 minutes ago, kongondo said:

I didn't get this. On which site? 1 (app, instantiated)  or 2 (web, instancer)?

It makes no difference - I get the error from site 1 if the RM module is not in site 2, or from site 2 if it is in both.

22 minutes ago, MarkE said:

Sorry, the answer to that is a bit complicated. I am not using the RM module to refer to the css file.

Sorry I put you through writing all these ?. I thought you'd managed to use RM to output your CSS files.

23 minutes ago, MarkE said:

It makes no difference - I get the error from site 1 if the RM module is not in site 2, or from site 2 if it is in both.

Hmm. I'll have a look. 

10 hours ago, MarkE said:

PHP Notice: Object of class ProcessWire\DefaultPage could not be converted to int in ...\FieldtypeRuntimeMarkup.module:536

I have not been able to reproduce this. I also don't see how Page could be ending up there. I am also not aware of a DefaultPage class. Maybe this has something to do with your particular setup? The only change with the code I posted above was that we are now providing $file with an absolute path instead of a relative one. So, I am a bit confused about this one ?.

2 hours ago, kongondo said:

I have not been able to reproduce this.

That's because it was caused by a bit of rogue code on my part!! Cleaned it up now - sorry for the diversion. I'm actually having some (unrelated?) issues with the RM module at the moment. I'll investigate further and post on the module thread if there is a real problem.

• 7 months later...

Hi @kongondo. Back to this issue of last year. Everything had been working fine until yesterday I upgraded PW from 3.0.153 to 3.0.165. Superficially everything seemed to be working, but then it became apparent that the cross-site operation of RM as described above was no longer working - basically the $config was not making it across the sites. In case it helps anyone else, I stopped using $config to hold the admin site instance and used setting() instead (see https://processwire.com/api/ref/functions/setting/). That seems to have fixed it ?