give users option to rate if module works with latest PW

neosin

In the PW website modules section, currently it is up to module authors to mention if their module is supported by whatever version of PW.

Use the power of the community to solve the busy dev dilemma!

It would be great if users could have some way to indicate a particular version works for them or not. Perhaps a simple "This module (works/or not) with current version (insert version here) of PW" and then in the module listing it shows a table of versions user have confirmed it works with.

PW version | Module version | Works / Not Works

2.0.71 | 0.0.1 | 100 users said this works

3.0.95 | 0.0.1 | 100 users said this does not work

3.0.95 | 0.0.3 | 20 users said this works / 1 user said this does not work

3.0.96 | 0.0.3 | 31 users said this works

Bonus of implementing this would be that it also helps lessen the forums threads "dos this module X work in PW version X?"

I wonder if the poll module could be used for this?

Generally speaking your proposal could be useful, however, I think it is questionable whether it would work or not in practice. Just because a module works for someone, it does not mean it will work in a different environment. Also, ProcessWire's active online community is just not enough for this. The WordPress plugin directory used to have this feature and even they removed it, even though the WP ecosystem has far more users to utilize it, the low number of feedbacks made them realize it was not useful, I guess. Their new "Issues resolved in last two months" feature is more useful, I think. If the maintainer of the plugin/module is willing to support the users, that is a great sign in the first place.

Edited by szabesz
typo
  • Like 3

The problem with such a system is that it'll always be skewed towards "does not work" simply because when a module does work people are very likely to move on without any feedback while the ones where there's a problem with the module are likely to complain somewhere.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, bud said:

How about download statistics for each module?

The WordPress plugin directory moved from download counts to active installs instead, since downloading does not mean it is actually being used. The problem with "active installs" is that the system needs to report it, which is both data leak to a third party and unnecessary requests to "some servers".

On 3/23/2018 at 8:27 PM, szabesz said:

If the maintainer of the plugin/module is willing to support the users, that is a great sign in the first place.

I still think some sort of indicator of the "willingness / ability" of continued support would be good. By ability I mean the plugin is not abandoned, actively maintained, etc...

• Like 3